RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Transparency

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Transparency Juliet Jennifer Mari R 21 May 08:39
  Transparency Roland Roberts 21 May 19:26
Juliet Jennifer Mari R
2002-05-21 08:39:18 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Transparency

Hello to the TIFF recomender,

Guess you have an enourmous disk space available, usually people cannot afford store images in TIFF format... we have to cope with jpg and gifs.

The IE5 supports transparency in pictures very well, that's the informaton stored within the graphic :) try a gif format and u may smile. Even fuzzy color transparency with variations in percentage can be set (although with Corel 8 stored pictures have problems with storing the transparency afterwards, as it reduces the color model to 256 and due to that, the transparency values are displayed grey in the output image of the IE5. Is there any script available to fuzzy select regions of similar color values, whereby the color values shall range in a percentage rate of 20 than the actual (fuzzy) selected pixel color value ?

Happy tiff-ing/ gif-ing Juliet

On Mon, 20 May 2002, gimp-user-request@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu wrote:

Sender: gimp-user-admin@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Delivered-To: icqmail.com%julietjmarie@icqmail.com Received: (cpmta 3516 invoked from network); 20 May 2002 12:01:09 -0700 Received: from 128.32.247.242 (HELO lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU) by smtp.c012.snv.cp.net (209.228.35.209) with SMTP; 20 May 2002 12:01:09 -0700 Received: from lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU (lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU [127.0.0.1]) by lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU (Postfix) with ESMTP id 785D41F058; Mon, 20 May 2002 12:01:02 -0700 (PDT) Content-Length: 3484
Content-Type: text/plain
List-Archive:
List-Subscribe: ,

X-Received: 20 May 2002 19:01:09 GMT Errors-To: gimp-user-admin@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Precedence: bulk
List-Unsubscribe: ,

List-Post: Subject: Gimp-user digest, Vol 1 #358 - 2 msgs List-Help:
X-Mailman-Version: 2.0.8
X-Beenthere: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Return-Path:
Mime-Version: 1.0
Reply-To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 12:01:02 -0700 (PDT) X-Mailer: Mailman v2.0.8
Message-Id:

Send Gimp-user mailing list submissions to gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to gimp-user-request@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu

You can reach the person managing the list at gimp-user-admin@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than "Re: Contents of Gimp-user digest..."

Today's Topics:

1. Re: Transparent logo. (Joel) 2. Re: Transparent logo. (Roland Roberts)

--__--__--

To: gimp-user@scam.xcf.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Transparent logo. Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 12:08:31 -1000

The bounding box of the image will always be rectangular; there's no way=20 around that.=20

Png supports transparent backgrounds (even wonderful 8-bit transparent=20 backgrounds), but a lot of programs that support the png format do not=20 support background transparency on pngs.=20

If you are working on a static web site, your best choice is probably to = go=20
with (yuck) gif.

If you're working on a dynamic web site, you can read the user-agent stri= ng to=20
find out which browser is being used, and return the png if it's capable = of=20
handling transparent backgrounds, or a gif otherwise. (Mozilla has great=20 support, IE doesn't support it at all).

If you're working on something for print, save it as a tiff. Pretty much = any=20
program that can handle a tiff can handle tiff alpha transparency.

--Joel

I want ot create a logo using a picture of an eagle, but I don't want the background to show when I use it. In other words I want. the figure to be eagle shaped, not rectangular. I already have the xcf version wi=

th

a transparent background. Now, what format should I use to save the file? Png seems not to work, I still get the rectangle.

John Culleton

--__--__--

To: gimp-user@scam.xcf.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Transparent logo. From: Roland Roberts
Date: 20 May 2002 11:48:06 -0400

"Joel" == Joel writes:

Joel> If you are working on a static web site, your best choice is Joel> probably to go with (yuck) gif.

For a consistent view with *most* browers this probably is your best choice.

Joel> If you're working on a dynamic web site, you can read the Joel> user-agent string to find out which browser is being used, Joel> and return the png if it's capable of handling transparent Joel> backgrounds, or a gif otherwise. (Mozilla has great support, Joel> IE doesn't support it at all).

And I still can't figure out what Opera is doing to my PNGs with a transparent background. They look all the world as if it has converted it to an low-color indexed GIF. The only way around it has been to convert my logo to JPEG (and give up the transparency which Opera wasn't handling anyway) and accept a slightly softened image. Yuck.

roland

Roland Roberts
2002-05-21 19:26:18 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Transparency

"Juliet" == Juliet Jennifer Mari R writes:

Juliet> Hello to the TIFF recomender, Guess you have an enourmous Juliet> disk space available, usually people cannot afford store Juliet> images in TIFF format... we have to cope with jpg and Juliet> gifs.

As Joel said, if your are working for *print* save as TIFF. He didn't say put the TIFF on the web site. My raw scans are all TIFF and are archived on CD that way, sometimes with the GIMP XCF files on the same CD.

Juliet> The IE5 supports transparency in pictures very well, Juliet> that's the informaton stored within the graphic :) try a Juliet> gif format and u may smile.

Yes, and that was also his recommendation. *GIF* is a lowest-common-denominator format for transparency. IE5 breaks on PNGs with transparency. Try it.

roland