RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Path tool not working

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Path tool not working Andrew 18 Apr 14:01
  Path tool not working saulgoode@flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com 18 Apr 14:18
   Path tool not working Andrew 18 Apr 16:48
Andrew
2007-04-18 14:01:38 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Path tool not working

Hi

I am simply trying to get an area I select active so I can fill it, copy it, remove it, add it to another picture.
If I use the path tool, it is not working. even if I start gimp from scratch, and make a new area, it is still shown with the no entry sign!?!?!

I was trying to do this with a bmp, and I changed it to a jpg in case that would help - no difference.

Occasionally, strangely, with nothing I have done apparently having any effect, the path tool is working.

Then, when I use the path tool, the from path and to path are greyed out in the selection pull down menu.

if I use the intelligent scissors, I can outline an area, but I can't do anything with it.

Now I come back to the app, start everything again, and the path tool is not working again.

I use the intelligent scissors. I can make a shape. Once again, the from path and to path are greyed out!?!?!?
I have tried flattening the image, both with a picture and a blank page ( which did seem stupid! ) but this makes no difference.

I have googled for help, but I don't think I am searching for the right things.

Obviously this is easy when you know how. Equally obvious, it is not intuitive, not to me anyway! ( is photoshop this hard to learn!?!? )
(( the thing that drives me totally insane is that I have done this before, more than once. ))

saulgoode@flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com
2007-04-18 14:18:41 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Path tool not working

Quoting Andrew :

If I use the path tool, it is not working. even if I start gimp from scratch, and make a new area, it is still shown with the no entry sign!?!?! ...
Occasionally, strangely, with nothing I have done apparently having any effect, the path tool is working.

It sounds as though your Paths Tool is in "Edit" mode. Double-click on the tool to raise its Options window and assure that you are in "Design" mode. You may also find it helpful to have the Paths dialog displayed ("Dialogs->Paths") so that you can see the various paths you are creating, select previously created paths, and change the visibility of the paths on your drawing.

Then, when I use the path tool, the from path and to path are greyed out in the selection pull down menu.

This means that you have not created a path yet (probably because you were in "Edit" mode).

if I use the intelligent scissors, I can outline an area, but I can't do anything with it.

Now I come back to the app, start everything again, and the path tool is not working again.

I use the intelligent scissors. I can make a shape. Once again, the from path and to path are greyed out!?!?!?

The Intelligent Scissors tool is completely unrelated to paths but even still, once you have outlined your shape with the scissors, you must convert it to a selection (by clicking on the starting point) before it is of any use.

Andrew
2007-04-18 16:48:51 UTC (about 17 years ago)

Path tool not working

Thank you thank you thank you!

Much frustration solved.

saulgoode@flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com wrote:

Quoting Andrew :

If I use the path tool, it is not working. even if I start gimp from scratch, and make a new area, it is still shown with the no entry sign!?!?! ...

It sounds as though your Paths Tool is in "Edit" mode. Double-click on the tool to raise its Options window and assure that you are in "Design" mode. You may also find it helpful to have the Paths dialog displayed ("Dialogs->Paths") so that you can see the various paths you are creating, select previously created paths, and change the visibility of the paths on your drawing.

This means that you have not created a path yet (probably because you were in "Edit" mode).

The Intelligent Scissors tool is completely unrelated to paths but even still, once you have outlined your shape with the scissors, you must convert it to a selection (by clicking on the starting point) before it is of any use.