RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Running script-fu-round-corners from gimp command line

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

Gene Smith
2006-11-13 07:51:34 UTC (over 17 years ago)

I have a bunch of jpg's that I need to run the stock procedure for making rounded corners and drop shadows on. I would like to do it from the command line rather than manually, one file at a time with the gui. I think it involves calling something like this, but I can't seem to figure out the right parameter:

gimp -i -d -b '(script-fu-round-corners RUN-NONINTERACTIVE \ "./white-shawl.jpg" -1 15 TRUE 8 8 15 TRUE FALSE)' '(gimp-quit 0)'

The jpg file shown above is just an example of one of many. I am not even sure that the filename goes there since the template calls for IMAGE_ID or image, run_mode and drawable which I am not sure what they mean (I know little about the GIMP). This is from "procedure browser":

(script-fu-round-corners run_mode image drawable value toggle value value value toggle toggle)

thanks, -gene

Sven Neumann
2006-11-13 08:48:34 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 01:51 -0500, Gene Smith wrote:

I have a bunch of jpg's that I need to run the stock procedure for making rounded corners and drop shadows on. I would like to do it from the command line rather than manually, one file at a time with the gui.

Have a look at the Batch tutorial on gimp.org:

http://gimp.org/tutorials/Basic_Batch/

Sven

Gene Smith
2006-11-13 17:40:20 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 01:51 -0500, Gene Smith wrote:

I have a bunch of jpg's that I need to run the stock procedure for making rounded corners and drop shadows on. I would like to do it from the command line rather than manually, one file at a time with the gui.

Have a look at the Batch tutorial on gimp.org:

http://gimp.org/tutorials/Basic_Batch/

Sven

Thank, I did see that page. But I just want to run an existing "scrip-fu" like this:

gimp -i -d -b '(script-fu-round-corners RUN-NONINTERACTIVE "./white-shawl.jpg" -1 15 TRUE 8 8 15 TRUE FALSE)' '(gimp-quit 0)'

and not sure what to put in for the first 3 parameter of the round-corners script. I think the first one, RUN-NONINTERACTIVE, is right. The next two, image and drawable, I am not sure what to put in (possibly I need to call drawable?). The last 7 I think are OK since they match the gimp dialog box that you run manually. That's really what I am asking.

-gene

Michael Schumacher
2006-11-13 17:54:41 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Von: Gene Smith

Thank, I did see that page. But I just want to run an existing "scrip-fu" like this:

This is exactly what the tutorials is about.

gimp -i -d -b '(script-fu-round-corners RUN-NONINTERACTIVE "./white-shawl.jpg" -1 15 TRUE 8 8 15 TRUE FALSE)' '(gimp-quit 0)'

and not sure what to put in for the first 3 parameter of the round-corners script. I think the first one, RUN-NONINTERACTIVE, is right. The next two, image and drawable, I am not sure what to put in (possibly I need to call drawable?).

You have to put the call to the script at the right place - this is where the "(plug-in-unsharp-mask RUN-NONINTERACTIVE image drawable radius amount threshold)" is called in the example.

HTH, Michael

Gene Smith
2006-11-14 06:36:57 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Michael Schumacher wrote, On 11/13/2006 11:54 AM:

This is exactly what the tutorials is about.

and not sure what to put in for the first 3 parameter of the round-corners script. I think the first one, RUN-NONINTERACTIVE, is right. The next two, image and drawable, I am not sure what to put in (possibly I need to call drawable?).

You have to put the call to the script at the right place - this is where the "(plug-in-unsharp-mask RUN-NONINTERACTIVE image drawable radius amount threshold)" is called in the example.

HTH, Michael

I made this script from the example and put in ~/.gimp-2.2/scripts/round-corners.scm:

(define (round-corners filename) (let* ((image (car (gimp-file-load RUN-NONINTERACTIVE filename filename)))
(drawable (car (gimp-image-get-active-layer image)))) (script-fu-round-corners RUN-NONINTERACTIVE image drawable 15 TRUE 8 8 15 TRUE FALSE) (set! drawable (car (gimp-image-get-active-layer image))) (gimp-file-save RUN-NONINTERACTIVE image drawable filename filename) (gimp-image-delete image)))

and run it for a image file:

gimp -i -b '(round-corners "/home/gene/product_images/white-shawl.png")' '(gimp-quit 0)'

No batch interpreter specified, using the default 'plug_in_script_fu_eval'. batch command: experienced an execution error.

--verbose doesn't say more.

When I run in Script-Fu Console:

=> (round-corners "/home/gene/product_images/white-shawl.jpg") ERROR: Procedural database execution failed: (gimp_image_width 1)

I still must be doing something wrong.

-gene

Saul Goode
2006-11-14 07:08:13 UTC (over 17 years ago)

I think it is just a matter of you having to flatten the image before calling 'script-fu-round-corners' (which does not accept images with an alpha channel).

I made this script from the example and put in ~/.gimp-2.2/scripts/round-corners.scm:

(define (round-corners filename) (let* ((image (car (gimp-file-load RUN-NONINTERACTIVE filename filename)))
(drawable (car (gimp-image-get-active-layer image)))) (script-fu-round-corners RUN-NONINTERACTIVE image drawable 15 TRUE 8 8 15 TRUE FALSE) (set! drawable (car (gimp-image-get-active-layer image))) (gimp-file-save RUN-NONINTERACTIVE image drawable filename filename) (gimp-image-delete image)))

gimp -i -b '(round-corners "/home/gene/product_images/white-shawl.png")' '(gimp-quit 0)'

No batch interpreter specified, using the default

'plug_in_script_fu_eval'.

batch command: experienced an execution error.

--verbose doesn't say more.

When I run in Script-Fu Console:

=> (round-corners "/home/gene/product_images/white-shawl.jpg") ERROR: Procedural database execution failed: (gimp_image_width 1)

I still must be doing something wrong.

--------
"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit." -- Harry S. Truman

Gene Smith
2006-11-18 06:46:10 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Saul Goode wrote, On 11/14/2006 01:08 AM:

I think it is just a matter of you having to flatten the image before calling 'script-fu-round-corners' (which does not accept images with an alpha channel).

No batch interpreter specified, using the default

'plug_in_script_fu_eval'.

batch command: experienced an execution error.

How do I put the call to gimp_image_flatten() in my script. Everything I try still gives the "experience an exec error" message. Last thing tried:

(drawable (car (gimp-image-get-active-layer image)))) (image (gimp_image_flatten(image))) (script-fu-round-corners RUN-NONINTERACTIVE image drawable 15 TRUE 8 8 15 TRUE FALSE) (set! drawable (car (gimp-image-get-active-layer image))) (gimp-file-save RUN-NONINTERACTIVE image drawable filename filename) (gimp-image-delete image)))

Saul Goode
2006-11-18 13:24:18 UTC (over 17 years ago)

How do I put the call to gimp_image_flatten() in my script. Everything I try still gives the "experience an exec error" message. Last thing tried:

(drawable (car (gimp-image-get-active-layer image)))) (image (gimp_image_flatten(image))) (script-fu-round-corners RUN-NONINTERACTIVE image drawable 15 TRUE 8 8 15 TRUE FALSE) (set! drawable (car (gimp-image-get-active-layer image))) (gimp-file-save RUN-NONINTERACTIVE image drawable filename filename) (gimp-image-delete image)))

"(gimp_image_flatten(image))" is incorrect for a couple of reasons.

First, Script-fu never uses underscores (except for marking strings for foreign language translation) and these need to be converted to dashes; therefore the function becomes "gimp-image-flatten".

Second, 'image' should not be within parentheses.

Third, after you perform the flatten, the variable 'drawable' is no longer valid (flatten creates a new layer). You need to assign the active layer to 'drawable' AFTER you perform the flatten.

-------- "It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit." -- Harry S. Truman

Gene Smith
2006-11-20 04:31:46 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Saul Goode wrote, On 11/18/2006 07:24 AM:

"(gimp_image_flatten(image))" is incorrect for a couple of reasons.

First, Script-fu never uses underscores (except for marking strings for foreign language translation) and these need to be converted to dashes; therefore the function becomes "gimp-image-flatten".

Second, 'image' should not be within parentheses.

Third, after you perform the flatten, the variable 'drawable' is no longer valid (flatten creates a new layer). You need to assign the active layer to 'drawable' AFTER you perform the flatten.

It was pretty much a stab in the dark. Thanks for the pointers.

I have come up with some scripts that work but sure they are not optimum, but think I am getting closer to my goal.

The first one converts a singe file.jpg to file.xcf where the default parameters for script-fu-round-corners are applied:

(define (round-corners in-filename out-filename) (let* ((image (car (gimp-file-load RUN-NONINTERACTIVE in-filename in-filename)))
(drawable (car (gimp-image-get-active-layer image)))) (script-fu-round-corners image drawable 15 TRUE 8 8 15 TRUE FALSE) (gimp-file-save RUN-NONINTERACTIVE image drawable out-filename out-filename)
(gimp-image-delete image)))

Note: A call to flatten does not seem to be required when the input is jpg.

Example call: $ gimp -i -b '(round-corners "white-shawl.jpg" "wwww.xcf")' '(gimp-quit 0)'

The next script is based on your script http://flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com/GIMP/Scripts/batch-xcf2jpg.scm that converts a glob of *.xcf to *.jpg. What I want is to run a glob of *.jpg through script-fu-round-corners and save as *-new.jpg. The only way I could get this to work was to save the output of script-fu-round-corners as xcf then essentially apply your script to the xcf files to get jpg files like this:

(define (round-corners-batch pattern) (let* (
(filelist (cadr (file-glob pattern 1))) (xcfname)
(jpgname)
(filename)
(image)
(drawable)
)
(while filelist
(set! filename (car filelist)) (set! image (car (gimp-file-load RUN-NONINTERACTIVE filename filename)))
(set! xcfname (strbreakup filename ".")) (set! xcfname (unbreakupstr (butlast xcfname "."))) (set! xcfname (string-append xcfname ".xcf")) (set! drawable (car (gimp-image-get-active-layer image))) (script-fu-round-corners image drawable 15 TRUE 8 8 15 TRUE FALSE) (gimp-file-save RUN-NONINTERACTIVE image drawable xcfname xcfname) (set! image (car (gimp-file-load RUN-NONINTERACTIVE xcfname xcfname)))
(set! jpgname (strbreakup xcfname ".")) (set! jpgname (unbreakupstr (butlast jpgname "."))) (set! jpgname (string-append jpgname "-new")) (set! jpgname (string-append jpgname ".jpg")) (set! drawable (car (gimp-image-flatten image))) (gimp-file-save RUN-NONINTERACTIVE image drawable jpgname jpgname) (gimp-image-delete image)
(set! filelist (cdr filelist)) )
)
)

Example call:
$ gimp -i -b '(round-corners-batch "w*.jpg")' '(gimp-quit 0)'

which produces new files w*.xcf and w*-new.jpg. What I don't understand about this is what parameters, such as quality, are applied to this jpg conversion? I do notice that the *-new.jpg files are a few K larger than then original *.jpg files. Also, does it know to save as jpg just because the file extension is jpg? If I want other than default jpg setting I might need to call something like gimp-file-save-jpg with about 10 parameters? Possibly this might also eliminate the need for the intermediate save to xcf?

-gene

Saul Goode
2006-11-21 01:09:10 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Gene Smith wrote

The next script is based on your script http://flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com/GIMP/Scripts/batch-xcf2jpg.scm that converts a glob of *.xcf to *.jpg. What I want is to run a glob of *.jpg through script-fu-round-corners and save as *-new.jpg. The only way I could get this to work was to save the output of script-fu-round-corners as xcf then essentially apply your script to the xcf files to get jpg files like this:

*snipped*

What I don't understand about this is what parameters, such as quality, are applied to this jpg conversion? I do notice that the *-new.jpg files are a few K larger than then original *.jpg files. Also, does it know to save as jpg just because the file extension is jpg? If I want other than default jpg setting I might need to call something like gimp-file-save-jpg with about 10 parameters? Possibly this might also eliminate the need for the intermediate save to xcf?

There is a PDB function called 'file-jpeg-save' which will permit you to specify different parameters. Open the PDB Browser ("Xtns->Procedure Browser") and type "jpeg" in as the Search key for a description of the function.

It seems like you have things pretty well in hand. I think it is unnecessary to save the xcf file and then reload it though. You should be able to delete those two lines and obtain the same result.

-------- "It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit." -- Harry S. Truman