RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

gradient lighten

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

gradient lighten Bill W. 10 Mar 19:07
  gradient lighten Carol Spears 11 Mar 01:37
Bill W.
2006-03-10 19:07:46 UTC (about 18 years ago)

gradient lighten

Hi all,
Quick newbie question. I have a photo that is full bright on one side, the left; and subdued light on the right. It seems to be an excellent job for gradient and layers but I'm not sure how to go about getting started. I checked in tutorials and couldn't find anything on this specifically.

tia, Bill W.

Carol Spears
2006-03-11 01:37:12 UTC (about 18 years ago)

gradient lighten

On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 10:07:46AM -0800, Bill W. wrote:

Hi all,
Quick newbie question. I have a photo that is full bright on one side, the left; and subdued light on the right. It seems to be an excellent job for gradient and layers but I'm not sure how to go about getting started. I checked in tutorials and couldn't find anything on this specifically.

first, read the earlier thread on adding the alpha channel to the photograph.

then use the right click menu in the layers dialog and add a mask to the photograph layer

then use the blend tool to add a gradient. you can adjust where the gradient colors start and end in the gradient editor (right click there also to find options for this)

the strength of the gradient you are painting can be adjusted in the blend tool options.

probably, you will need to add an all black or all white layer under the photograph layer. (or maybe a duplicate of the photograph instead)

carol