RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Fill transparent?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Fill transparent? Simon Roberts 10 Mar 18:49
  Fill transparent? Olivier Ripoll 10 Mar 19:01
   Fill transparent? Simon Roberts 10 Mar 19:08
  Fill transparent? Shlomi Fish 10 Mar 19:09
  Fill transparent? Carol Spears 10 Mar 19:41
Simon Roberts
2006-03-10 18:49:00 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Fill transparent?

Hi All,

I'm really sorry this is probably a dumb/rtfm type question but I guess I don't know enough to know what to look for.

I simply want to make a selection transparent. I can make the selection OK, but when I click the little red eraser thingy (for which the tooltip says "Erase to background or transparency" I can't make it make the selection transparent no matter what I try.

Can anyone tell me what I should be doing please?

Many thanks, Simon

"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions." ? Naguib Mahfouz

___

Olivier Ripoll
2006-03-10 19:01:32 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Fill transparent?

Simon Roberts wrote:

Hi All,

I'm really sorry this is probably a dumb/rtfm type question but I guess I don't know enough to know what to look for.

I simply want to make a selection transparent. I can make the selection OK, but when I click the little red eraser thingy (for which the tooltip says "Erase to background or transparency" I can't make it make the selection transparent no matter what I try.

Many thanks, Simon

Try Layer->Transparency->Add alpha channel. And then just cut your selection (ctrl-X).

Best regards,

Olivier

Simon Roberts
2006-03-10 19:08:27 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Fill transparent?

--- Olivier Ripoll wrote:

Simon Roberts wrote:

I simply want to make a selection transparent.

Try Layer->Transparency->Add alpha channel. And then just cut your selection (ctrl-X).

Oh, wow, that's easy. I guess I really just didn't know where to begin.

Many thanks :) Simon

"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions." ? Naguib Mahfouz

___

Shlomi Fish
2006-03-10 19:09:43 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Fill transparent?

On Friday 10 March 2006 19:49, Simon Roberts wrote:

Hi All,

Sure.

1. Invoke the Layers dialog. (Dialogs -> Layers).

2. Right click the layer that you wish to make transparent and select "Add Layer Mast". Select "Layer's alpha channel" in the dialog that pops up.

3. Select the layer mask (that's the square to the right in the layer).

4. Select the "Fill with a colour" tool from the GIMP's toolbox.

5. Select a black colour.

6. Make sure that you are filling with the foreground colour, and filling the entire selection.

7. Click the mouse inside the selection in the image window.

8. Right click on the layer in the layers dialog and select "Apply Layer Mask".

-------

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Shlomi Fish

--------------------------------------------------------------------- Shlomi Fish shlomif@iglu.org.il Homepage: http://www.shlomifish.org/

95% of the programmers consider 95% of the code they did not write, in the bottom 5%.

Carol Spears
2006-03-10 19:41:15 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Fill transparent?

On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 09:49:00AM -0800, Simon Roberts wrote:

Hi All,

you answered your own question (see your signature) Erase to "background or transparency". if you are not erasing to transparency then you are erasing to what?

photographs, jpegs, many (but not all) png and other file formats do not have the notion of transparency built into them. this notion is called the alpha channel and it is mathematically an additional stack of color that can also include levels of transparency. right click on the layer dialog and tell gimp to add this extra stack of color capacity to the image you are trying to erase to transparency. "Add transparency" or something like that.

gimp does not fill with transparency. it erases, clears, cuts or uses masks to make transparency.

gimp handles selections its own way. forget everything you know about them.

carol