RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GIMP Slowness

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GIMP Slowness Raeth 09 Mar 02:20
  GIMP Slowness Sven Neumann 09 Mar 09:34
   GIMP Slowness Raeth 09 Mar 17:04
Raeth
2006-03-09 02:20:54 UTC (about 18 years ago)

GIMP Slowness

Greets,

I have my Wacom Graphire 4 tablet working on Linux (Ubuntu 6.04, kernel 2.6.15) and get fine pressure sensivity in The GIMP 2.2.10.

However, when using any of the paint/ink tools, although producing a decent stroke, it fails to keep up. The stroke does not lag as if on a slow system, but if I end a stroke and quicky make another stroke, the second stroke does not appear.

Does this mean GIMP's brush engine isn't efficient enough, because it works fine in all Windows apps (Photoshop, openCanvas)? It does not do this on my friend's much slower computer, who is using an older version of The GIMP.

If anyone can give me a clue, Raeth

Sven Neumann
2006-03-09 09:34:49 UTC (about 18 years ago)

GIMP Slowness

Hi,

Raeth writes:

I have my Wacom Graphire 4 tablet working on Linux (Ubuntu 6.04, kernel 2.6.15) and get fine pressure sensivity in The GIMP 2.2.10.

However, when using any of the paint/ink tools, although producing a decent stroke, it fails to keep up. The stroke does not lag as if on a slow system, but if I end a stroke and quicky make another stroke, the second stroke does not appear.

Try to put (perfect-mouse no) into your gimprc and please report back if this changes anything.

Sven

Raeth
2006-03-09 17:04:22 UTC (about 18 years ago)

GIMP Slowness

I've done so, and it changes nothing. I do notice a small lag after each brush stroke (regardless of that setting), which I suspect is causing the failure to catch the start of the next stroke.

My CPU (1.5 GHz) usage display goes up to 100% whenever I paint. Is this normal?

Thanks! Raeth

On 3/9/06, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Raeth writes:

Try to put (perfect-mouse no) into your gimprc and please report back if this changes anything.

Sven