RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Composing Images

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Composing Images Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 01 Mar 04:23
  Composing Images scott s. 06 Mar 09:03
Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2006-03-01 04:23:45 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Composing Images

On Tuesday 28 February 2006 10:24 pm, scott s. wrote:

I have some raster images that I need to combine. Each raster is in tiff format grayscale. What I want to do is load each file into a channel to create a color image. The problem is, I can't figure out how to get an image, or layer, into a channel. I can load a single image, and convert it into RGB which copies the data into all 3 channels, but then I can't figure out how to edit the 2 channels I don't want into black. I'm assuming if I could do this on all 3 images, I could then load them as layers and then compose them somehow. It seems like there should be an easier way. This is gimp 2.2.10.

scott s.

Hi Scott,

In image->mode menu , you will find the "compose" plug-in. Use that.

The only catch is that all three images must be the same size bedfore combining, so you may have to crop/scale before doing that.

JS ->

scott s.
2006-03-06 09:03:28 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Composing Images

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:

On Tuesday 28 February 2006 10:24 pm, scott s. wrote:

I have some raster images that I need to combine. Each raster is in tiff format grayscale.

[snip]

In image->mode menu , you will find the "compose" plug-in. Use that.

The only catch is that all three images must be the same size bedfore combining, so you may have to crop/scale before doing that.

JS

Thanks Joao -- I was having trouble getting the "compose" to work (no matter what I did it was "grayed out"). Then I realized in manipulating the data in another program, the images were being saved as "indexed" not "grayscale". Once I changed that I could load 3 different bands (tiffs) and assign them as RGB channels in the compose filter and it worked out great.

Just for info, the data is satellite Landsat 7 enhanced thematic mapper, which is a multisensor imaging device that produces data in about 9 different spectral bands + one panchromatic grayscale. GIMP is working very nicely in combining the band data to create false-color images.

scott s. .