RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

matting or anti-aliasing of shapes

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

matting or anti-aliasing of shapes Bram Kuijper 07 Feb 21:29
  matting or anti-aliasing of shapes bktheman34 05 Feb 00:28
Bram Kuijper
2006-02-07 21:29:37 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Hi all,
I try to anti-alias or matte the edges of a shape in order to make a transparent gif/png of it without having pixelated 'hard edges'. The current situation is that I have a selection of some shape in GIMP. Below the layer with the shape in it, I stroke the selection of my shape with a lighter colour by using a fuzzy paintbrush. This gives me some sort of anti-alising effect, but it isn't any close to the matte option in the 'export for web' dialog of Photoshop. Because I really do like GIMP, I am curious if there is a better way to get anti-aliased shapes using Gimp?
Bram

2014-02-05 00:28:30 UTC (about 10 years ago)
postings

Yes it can be done in GIMP.

Open your image in GIMP. Choose a new background colour which is as close to the background your image is going to be displayed over. In GIMP click Filters > Web > Semi flatten. Repeat for each layer of your animation. Now save your GIF. Now see how it looks when displayed over the background.