RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

text bending

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

text bending Vytautas Povilaitis 18 Jan 15:55
  text bending Simon Roberts 18 Jan 16:06
   text bending Carol Spears 18 Jan 23:13
    text bending Simon Roberts 19 Jan 03:27
  text bending Carol Spears 18 Jan 23:22
   text bending Vytautas Povilaitis 18 Jan 23:51
Vytautas Povilaitis
2006-01-18 15:55:28 UTC (about 18 years ago)

text bending

Is there a way to bend lines of text or just stripes in GIMP? I need to make text go around a circle.

Simon Roberts
2006-01-18 16:06:21 UTC (about 18 years ago)

text bending

--- Vytautas Povilaitis wrote:

Is there a way to bend lines of text or just stripes in GIMP? I need to
make text go around a circle.

I'm a newbie with the GIMP, but you can do that in OpenOffice Draw which is more of a "design and create" type tool, while the GIMP seems to me to be more about retouching, curve correction, and the like.

HTH Cheers,
Simon

"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions." ? Naguib Mahfouz

___

Carol Spears
2006-01-18 23:13:58 UTC (about 18 years ago)

text bending

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 07:06:21AM -0800, Simon Roberts wrote:

--- Vytautas Povilaitis wrote:

Is there a way to bend lines of text or just stripes in GIMP? I need to
make text go around a circle.

I'm a newbie with the GIMP, but you can do that in OpenOffice Draw which is more of a "design and create" type tool, while the GIMP seems to me to be more about retouching, curve correction, and the like.

interesting. i would like to know if Vytautas Povilaitis had open office installed and i would also like to know what other graphics this office software can draw. it is nice to have volunteers from the other apps show up to point out their software here, we don't get near enough of it.

carol

Carol Spears
2006-01-18 23:22:50 UTC (about 18 years ago)

text bending

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 04:55:28PM +0200, Vytautas Povilaitis wrote:

Is there a way to bend lines of text or just stripes in GIMP? I need to make text go around a circle.

/Xtns/Script-fu/Logos/Text Circle for gimp-2.2 /Xtns/Logos/Text Circle for gimp-2.3

also, gimp-2.3 has a text to path option in the text tool options and all gimps since gimp-1.2 have /Filters/Distorts/CurveBend

carol

Vytautas Povilaitis
2006-01-18 23:51:07 UTC (about 18 years ago)

text bending

Wow, that's it. Thank you Carol.

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 00:22:50 +0200, Carol Spears wrote:

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 04:55:28PM +0200, Vytautas Povilaitis wrote:

/Xtns/Script-fu/Logos/Text Circle for gimp-2.2 /Xtns/Logos/Text Circle for gimp-2.3

also, gimp-2.3 has a text to path option in the text tool options and all gimps since gimp-1.2 have /Filters/Distorts/CurveBend

carol

Simon Roberts
2006-01-19 03:27:42 UTC (about 18 years ago)

text bending

--- Carol Spears wrote:

I'm a newbie with the GIMP, but you can do that in OpenOffice Draw which is more of a "design and create" type tool

interesting. i would like to know if Vytautas Povilaitis had open office installed and i would also like to know what other graphics this
office software can draw. it is nice to have volunteers from the other
apps show up to point out their software here, we don't get near enough
of it.

OOo Draw has capabilities/approach broadly comparable to Adobe Illustrator, and as such might be considered complimentary (it's certainly not competitive!) with the GIMP. It does vector drawing, scalable stuff, layout, text, shapes, 3D, and that kind of thing. I used the two together, for example to create Christmas cards. GIMP took my photos, cleaned them up, removed background and trees growing out of heads, while the layout as a card, with pretty text curving round, borders, and stuff like that was done after importing the GIMP output into Draw.

There are some really cool tricks, like taking a font, and turning it into a 3D shape with depth, rotating it to produce "solids" and other freakish things. I can't say I've found a use for them yet, but they're intriguing all the same :)

See openoffice.org, getopenoffice.org (and probably a bunch of others I don't know about).

Cheers,
Simon

"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions." ? Naguib Mahfouz

___