RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Color Picker popup dialog.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Color Picker popup dialog. Ben Foote 18 Jan 03:26
  Color Picker popup dialog. Simon Budig 18 Jan 03:49
   Color Picker popup dialog. Ben Foote 18 Jan 03:55
  Color Picker popup dialog. Carol Spears 18 Jan 23:30
Color Picker popup dialog. Michael Schumacher 18 Jan 10:50
Ben Foote
2006-01-18 03:26:19 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Hello all,

I'm joining/emailing to ask a very important question involving the color picker tool. Is it necessary to have the dialog pop up every time you choose a color with this tool? Is there a way to disable it?

I've searched bugzilla, and come up with bug #139349, http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=139349

I've searched all over the web, and even through the mailing list archive, but I can't seem to find an answer.

This one simple annoyance keeps me from using GIMP fulltime because I'm constantly selecting colors from one image to use in another, and every single time, the color picker popup comes up and steals focus. Now, just the fact that it steals focus isn't the concern. The popup itself should never be there. If the popup is going to come up every time you use the tool, it should be part of the main GIMP dock or not there at all, I'm voting not at all. The reason being that you can easily get the color value of the color you just selected by click on the color in the main GIMP dock anyways. Its probably a design problem.

But I digress....can anyone help me disable the popup or lend some insight? I'm all ears.

Thanks everyone, -Ben

Simon Budig
2006-01-18 03:49:42 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Ben Foote (ben.foote@gmail.com) wrote:

But I digress....can anyone help me disable the popup or lend some insight? I'm all ears.

GIMP CVS no longer opens up a popup unless you request it. We probably won't change this in the 2.2 series of the GIMP.

However, are you aware that (in 2.2) CTRL-clicking with a paint tool picks a color from an image without a popup?

Bye, Simon

Ben Foote
2006-01-18 03:55:58 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Well thankyou for the prompt response Simon.

I'm glad to hear that GIMP CVS has this option changed, but also sad to hear that it won't be making its way into 2.2.

I wasn't aware that holding CTRL while using a paint tool selected a color. I'm not sure many people could possibly be aware of this behavior. Seems a smidge strange, but I'll take it =P

Thanks for the help, -Ben

On 1/17/06, Simon Budig wrote:

Ben Foote (ben.foote@gmail.com) wrote:

GIMP CVS no longer opens up a popup unless you request it. We probably won't change this in the 2.2 series of the GIMP.

However, are you aware that (in 2.2) CTRL-clicking with a paint tool picks a color from an image without a popup?

Bye, Simon
--
simon@budig.de http://simon.budig.de/

Michael Schumacher
2006-01-18 10:50:48 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Von: Ben Foote

I wasn't aware that holding CTRL while using a paint tool selected a color. I'm not sure many people could possibly be aware of this behavior. Seems a smidge strange, but I'll take it =P

This is documented in http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tools-paint.html. The color picker itself is documented in http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tool-color-picker.html, bur a cross reference would indeed be nice. I've opened bug http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=327501 so that it's not forgotten.

Michael

Carol Spears
2006-01-18 23:30:24 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 09:26:19PM -0500, Ben Foote wrote:

This one simple annoyance keeps me from using GIMP fulltime because I'm constantly selecting colors from one image to use in another, and every single time, the color picker popup comes up and steals focus. Now, just the fact that it steals focus isn't the concern. The popup itself should never be there. If the popup is going to come up every time you use the tool, it should be part of the main GIMP dock or not there at all, I'm voting not at all. The reason being that you can easily get the color value of the color you just selected by click on the color in the main GIMP dock anyways. Its probably a design problem.

have you seen the color picker that is on /Dialogs/Colors?

it picks one time from the whole desktop.

actually, that whole dialog has pretty much replaced all of the other color dialogs for me. it can be docked, i keep mine docked to the toolbox. it has many dialogs within that one dock -- all of the color dialogs.

it has taken a little while to change my workflow to use a one time color picker and to avoid the other color dialogs. the one useful feature that the Toolbox color dialog has is the color memory, but i am surprised at how much i do not actually use that.

i think that i have even taken the old gimp color picker out of my lately. which you can do via /Dialogs/Tools -- it works with the viewable toggle the same way that the Layers Dialog works.

it sounds like you have been using gimp for a long while. perhaps you might spend a few minutes to look at those dialogs. some of them are really cool and completely different from anything gimp had before.

carol