RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

'File Exists' in 2.3.6

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

'File Exists' in 2.3.6 Eric P 15 Jan 22:19
  'File Exists' in 2.3.6 Sven Görsmann 15 Jan 22:27
  'File Exists' in 2.3.6 Carol Spears 16 Jan 05:15
   'File Exists' in 2.3.6 Eric P 16 Jan 06:04
    'File Exists' in 2.3.6 Sven Neumann 18 Jan 09:14
  'File Exists' in 2.3.6 Owen Cook 16 Jan 05:52
Eric P
2006-01-15 22:19:56 UTC (over 18 years ago)

'File Exists' in 2.3.6

Maybe this deserves a bug report, but something I've noticed in 2.3.6 is that it always alerts me that a 'A File Named ... Already Exists' upon saving any file regardless whether is truly exists or not.

Can anyone else confirm this? Just create a new document and save and see what it says.

FYI, my 2.3.6 was compiled on Debian Testing. gtk 2.6.5
glib 2.8.4

Eric P

Sven Görsmann
2006-01-15 22:27:45 UTC (over 18 years ago)

'File Exists' in 2.3.6

Eric P schrieb:

Maybe this deserves a bug report, but something I've noticed in 2.3.6 is that it always alerts me that a 'A File Named ... Already Exists' upon saving any file regardless whether is truly exists or not.

Can anyone else confirm this? Just create a new document and save and see what it says.

glib 2.8.4

Eric P

Carol Spears
2006-01-16 05:15:45 UTC (over 18 years ago)

'File Exists' in 2.3.6

On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 03:19:56PM -0600, Eric P wrote:

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=309729

the fact that you noticed this bug means (to me) that you are really giving this file selector a work out.

for me, i get that warning everytime i type in a new location to that dialog. like i am working in /home/carol/images and want to save something in /tmp so i type /tmp/image.xcf into the file selector to save time and button pushing madness.

what i don't like, and i am finding it difficult to articulate (as you will soon see, perhaps) is that when i am finally have the damn thing in the directory i want to make the save in and i start to type the first few characters, it gives me a list of files that are already named like that. the default response is to give you opportunity to save a different image with the same name. more useful to me would be to be able to save a new image and have the file selector understand that and fill in the first few characters sequentially.

what could i call that? like if you made it work with the so pressing there would fill in similar characters but would stop before suggesting saving over an existing image. what would that be called?

it makes me wonder what the gtk+ developers are doing that they need to save over existing files more often than making new ones.

carol

Owen Cook
2006-01-16 05:52:23 UTC (over 18 years ago)

'File Exists' in 2.3.6

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006, Eric P wrote:

glib 2.8.4

I can't duplicate that. Starting Gimp via the console, and saving by either selecting from the list of extensions or not, I get this output

------------------------------------ file_save_dialog_check_uri: no save_proc was selected from the list file_save_dialog_check_uri: use URI's proc 'JPEG image' so indirect saving works

or

file_save_dialog_check_uri: save_proc 'PNG image' was selected from the list
------------------------------------ And all is OK

Owen

Eric P
2006-01-16 06:04:45 UTC (over 18 years ago)

'File Exists' in 2.3.6

Carol Spears wrote:

On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 03:19:56PM -0600, Eric P wrote:

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=309729

Ulp, I should've done my homework before bugging the list.

the fact that you noticed this bug means (to me) that you are really giving this file selector a work out.

Well, the GTK file selector is barely useful in my opinion. I don't use KDE, but they've had their file selector in good working order for a couple years now. Even Crackdoze is better (ack!)

for me, i get that warning everytime i type in a new location to that dialog. like i am working in /home/carol/images and want to save something in /tmp so i type /tmp/image.xcf into the file selector to save time and button pushing madness.

But I get the false alert _anytime_ I save a new file. I'm not doing anything at all exotic as the initial bug reporter posted (or as you are doing). I just make a new file, try to save (in whatever is the current working directory), and I'm alerted.

what i don't like, and i am finding it difficult to articulate (as you will soon see, perhaps) is that when i am finally have the damn thing in the directory i want to make the save in and i start to type the first few characters, it gives me a list of files that are already named like that.

And directories!

the default response is to give you opportunity to save a different image with the same name. more useful to me would be to be able to save a new image and have the file selector understand that and fill in the first few characters sequentially.

Sequentially?? I guess I don't follow.

what could i call that? like if you made it work with the so pressing there would fill in similar characters but would stop before suggesting saving over an existing image. what would that be called?

Hmm.... sounds similar to tab completion but a little different since tab completion will finally fill in the complete file name/directory if it's unique.

it makes me wonder what the gtk+ developers are doing that they need to save over existing files more often than making new ones.

GTK excels in so many areas. I just wish they'd overhaul (again) the file selector. Oh well, I should stop bitching and help out, shouldn't I? So many projects... so little time.

Eric P

Sven Neumann
2006-01-18 09:14:04 UTC (over 18 years ago)

'File Exists' in 2.3.6

Hi,

Eric P writes:

But I get the false alert _anytime_ I save a new file. I'm not doing anything at all exotic as the initial bug reporter posted (or as you are doing). I just make a new file, try to save (in whatever is the current working directory), and I'm alerted.

Please read the bug-report that you have been pointed to. You will note that the problem has been fixed in the meantime. What's all the fuss? After all you are using an unstable development snapshot.

Sven