RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

CMYK support

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

CMYK support Carlos Muncharaz 14 Jan 07:50
  CMYK support Owen Cook 14 Jan 08:04
  CMYK support Olivier Ripoll 16 Jan 09:37
   CMYK support Dave Neary 16 Jan 10:53
    CMYK support Olivier Ripoll 16 Jan 13:22
Carlos Muncharaz
2006-01-14 07:50:55 UTC (over 18 years ago)

CMYK support

Hi, I have just added to the mail list and here I bring some questions: What about Gimp support for CMYK color mode? Have you discuss about it? Will Gimp handle CMYK images? Can a graphic designer who works with CMYK images to send to printer work with Linux and Gimp?

______________________________________________ LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo. Llamadas a fijos y móviles desde 1 céntimo por minuto. http://es.voice.yahoo.com

Owen Cook
2006-01-14 08:04:40 UTC (over 18 years ago)

CMYK support

You might want to try putting 'gimp cmyk' into Google and have a read

Olivier Ripoll
2006-01-16 09:37:23 UTC (over 18 years ago)

CMYK support

Carlos Muncharaz wrote:

Hi, I have just added to the mail list and here I bring some questions: What about Gimp support for CMYK color mode? Have you discuss about it? Will Gimp handle CMYK images? Can a graphic designer who works with CMYK images to send to printer work with Linux and Gimp?

Hi,

Gimp has some support for CYMK colour mode in the sense that you can decompose your RGB image into CYMK. With the help of the separate plugin ( http://www.blackfiveservices.co.uk/separate.shtml ), you can even save to tiff.

But if you need more advanced CYMK tools, you may have a look at either krita (the KDE image tool) or cinepaint.

Best regards,

Olivier

Dave Neary
2006-01-16 10:53:05 UTC (over 18 years ago)

CMYK support

Hi,

Olivier Ripoll wrote:

Gimp has some support for CYMK colour mode in the sense that you can decompose your RGB image into CYMK. With the help of the separate plugin ( http://www.blackfiveservices.co.uk/separate.shtml ), you can even save to tiff.

But if you need more advanced CYMK tools, you may have a look at either krita (the KDE image tool) or cinepaint.

In terms of color management, Cinepaint and GIMP are more or less on a par now (at least, in the 2.3 series). Neither has native CMYK editing, to my knowledge.

Krita's been adding functionality very fast recently - they now have La*b*, CMYK and RGBA, and apparently layer groups are going in soon. I haven't used any later versions yet.

Cheers, Dave.

Olivier Ripoll
2006-01-16 13:22:29 UTC (over 18 years ago)

CMYK support

Dave Neary wrote:

Hi,

Olivier Ripoll wrote:

In terms of color management, Cinepaint and GIMP are more or less on a par now (at least, in the 2.3 series). Neither has native CMYK editing, to my knowledge.

Well, I have not had a look at cinepaint for a while (I am not in the film industry, so it is not relevant for my use), so I am ready to believe you.

Krita's been adding functionality very fast recently - they now have La*b*, CMYK and RGBA, and apparently layer groups are going in soon. I haven't used any later versions yet.

[off-topic class="enhancement request"] What would be nice for Krita/Gimp/ggl/gegl/whatever would be to also provide the L*u*v* space (CIELUV) because it is more relevant in TV industry than L*a*b* (see Hunt, "measuring colour", p66). [/off-topic]

And, just to be nitpicking, it is L*a*b* not La*b*. L is the luminance. the CIELAB space is based on the lightness L*. ;)

Cheers,
Dave.

Regards,

Olivier.