RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Resize Tool Question

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Resize Tool Question net kat 12 Jan 02:45
  Resize Tool Question Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 12 Jan 05:19
   Resize Tool Question Arnd Baecker 12 Jan 08:31
    Resize Tool Question Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 12 Jan 15:13
Resize Tool Question Michael Schumacher 12 Jan 11:55
net kat
2006-01-12 02:45:30 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Resize Tool Question

I'm trying to figure out IF and How the Gimp can perform a crop/ resize task which Photoshop can?

This task is: in Photoshop, I can set Crop Tool dimensions, and when I drag in an image, the marquee will be that aspect ratio. When I finalize the crop, Photoshop will either crop down to those pixel values, or enlarge the selection to the pixel values.

When I read the help file for Gimp, it's not clear that I can do this. Can I? Can anyone shed light on this?

thank you!

nk

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2006-01-12 05:19:16 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Resize Tool Question

On Wednesday 11 January 2006 11:45 pm, net kat wrote:

I'm trying to figure out IF and How the Gimp can perform a crop/ resize task which Photoshop can?

This task is: in Photoshop, I can set Crop Tool dimensions, and when I drag in an image, the marquee will be that aspect ratio. When I finalize the crop, Photoshop will either crop down to those pixel values, or enlarge the selection to the pixel values.

When I read the help file for Gimp, it's not clear that I can do this. Can I? Can anyone shed light on this?

No, the GIMP does not do that.
Cropping and scaling up are different operations both in implementation and on the UI.

It is possible to write a script for doing this - that would crop or scale up to a rectangular selection, for example.

If you wnat the script, please tell me if you have gimp-python running (or try to get it running), or ask someone to write it in script-fu for you.

Otherwise, it seens a nice feature, and I guess you can ask for it on GIMP's bugzilla (bugzilla.gnome.org , describe the desired feature in detail, mark the bug severity as "enhancement"), if you really mind about it.

GIMP developers will give their say wether it is indeed nice or clutter, and then, someone might some day volunteer to implement it.

Regards, JS
->

thank you!

nk

Arnd Baecker
2006-01-12 08:31:51 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Resize Tool Question

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006, Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:

Cropping and scaling up are different operations both in implementation and on the UI.

It is possible to write a script for doing this - that would crop or scale up to a rectangular selection, for example.

If you wnat the script, please tell me if you have gimp-python running (or try to get it running), or ask someone to write it in script-fu for you.

Does that mean you have such a script? If so, I would be interested in a copy ;-) (I am not sure about posting it here if it is too big, but http://registry.gimp.org/index.jsp might be a good place - there are still way to few python plugins ;-)

Best, Arnd

Michael Schumacher
2006-01-12 11:55:31 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Resize Tool Question

Von: "Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris"

Otherwise, it seens a nice feature, and I guess you can ask for it on GIMP's bugzilla (bugzilla.gnome.org , describe the desired feature in detail, mark the bug severity as "enhancement"), if you really mind about it.

As you seem to have understood how the feature should work, I think it might be better if you try to describe it in your words - to me it sounds like seeting a fixed size for crop, something which should be possible in GIMP 2.3 already.

Michael

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2006-01-12 15:13:39 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Resize Tool Question

Grumble..

I made the script, but just as I was testing it, I realized the rectangular selection cannot be larger than the image size to begin with. SO the interface I had imagined is not pratical.

The thing I had thought is a small script that would just double a image's canvas size, without hasle - sou you can bind a shortcut to it, tehn make the selection, and press a secont short-cut key to this script.

But I no longer have time now to deal with it - I will do later.

Regards,

JS ->

On Thursday 12 January 2006 05:31 am, Arnd Baecker wrote:

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006, Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:

Does that mean you have such a script? If so, I would be interested in a copy ;-) (I am not sure about posting it here if it is too big, but http://registry.gimp.org/index.jsp might be a good place - there are still way to few python plugins ;-)

Best, Arnd