RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

size of file

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

size of file Helen 05 Jan 00:36
  size of file Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 05 Jan 01:37
  size of file Carol Spears 05 Jan 07:49
Helen
2006-01-05 00:36:01 UTC (over 18 years ago)

size of file

Is there a reasonably easy way to tell the size of a photograph? I have a photo on screen, and the bar at the bottom of the image says the photo is 37.7 MB. I was pretty sure that could not be true, so i listed it in Konqueror and Konqueror says the file is 2.7 MB, which is closer to what I expected. Can someone explain?
Thanks,
Helen, using Gimp 2.2.9 onSuSE 10

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2006-01-05 01:37:36 UTC (over 18 years ago)

size of file

On Wednesday 04 January 2006 09:36 pm, Helen wrote:

Is there a reasonably easy way to tell the size of a photograph? I have a photo on screen, and the bar at the bottom of the image says the photo is 37.7 MB. I was pretty sure that could not be true, so i listed it in Konqueror and Konqueror says the file is 2.7 MB, which is closer to what I expected. Can someone explain?
Thanks,
Helen, using Gimp 2.2.9 onSuSE 10

Hi Helen,

As a matter of fact, a photo "size" will vary - even for the same photo. And it is easy to explain that: A photo when stored as file, in disk, is a compressed file. That means that all the information needed to display the photo is tehre, but it is encoded in a special way to take up less space.

Thus, when konqueror lists it with 2.7 MB - that is the file size. I t has this size, and it willhave this size if you send it to someone on e-mail, or record it in a CD-ROM.

However, when a image is displayed, the imaging program has to decode the color information of the image - thus, uncompressing it. That means that when "open" - i.e. - being displayed, a photo is much larger than it is filesize.

Actually a photo being displayed uses no compression at all, so it will use exactly Width X Height X Number of Primary Colors bytes. For a typical 3.2MP image that would be 9.6 MB.

While being displayed on the GIMP this amount goes up further, because every pixel that is changed is "remembered" in the Undo system, and thus, use memory. The memory usage on the status bar shows both the memory used by the photo, and all memory used by its undo information.

Once recorded to disk, the color information will be compressed back, and it will again use just close to the 2.2MB it had.

Different file types have different compressions levels (and other pros & cons), but photos are normally stored in .jpg which gives a good compression ratio, and some loss of accuracy on the image itself.

Regards,

JS
->

Carol Spears
2006-01-05 07:49:27 UTC (over 18 years ago)

size of file

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 06:36:01PM -0500, Helen wrote:

the number in the lower portion of the image might reflect the amount of memory being used? i don't know for certain, but this would include the undo history of the image for that session if i am right.

the size shown in the file selector should be the "saved to the hard disc" size.

carol