RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Can I skip the GIMP User Installation screen upon first start?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Can I skip the GIMP User Installation screen upon first start? Jason Bassett 02 Jan 11:08
  Can I skip the GIMP User Installation screen upon first start? Axel Wernicke 02 Jan 11:28
   Can I skip the GIMP User Installation screen upon first start? Rikard Johnels 02 Jan 11:45
Can I skip the GIMP User Installation screen upon firststart? Julien Pons 02 Jan 11:25
Jason Bassett
2006-01-02 11:08:59 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Hello

Is there any way that I may set up the GIMP on a multi user Linux machine so that when a new person logs in and runs The GIMP, they do not need to go through the "GIMP User Installation" screen to set directories etc. I would instead like these settings to be pulled from defaults that I set myself.

The reason is that inexperienced users will be using the machines and I do not want them to be encountering more screens that is required.

I have tried editing various files such as /etc/gimp/2.0/gimprc but this only changes the defaults that appear for the user to accept.

Jason

Julien Pons
2006-01-02 11:25:24 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Can I skip the GIMP User Installation screen upon firststart?

Jason Bassett wrote:

Hello

Hello

Is there any way that I may set up the GIMP on a multi user Linux machine so that when a new person logs in and runs The GIMP, they do not need to go through the "GIMP User Installation" screen to set directories etc. I would instead like these settings to be pulled from defaults that I set myself.
The reason is that inexperienced users will be using the machines and I do not want them to be encountering more screens that is required.

I have tried editing various files such as /etc/gimp/2.0/gimprc but this only changes the defaults that appear for the user to accept.

What about installing one, set your preferences and everything you need, then backup the .gimp/2.0/ files ?
Then use a script to perform multiple installations at once.

Julien Pons - Graphiste / Auteur http://www.julienpons.fr
Cell : 06 22 71 04 21
Fixe : 08 72 22 04 21

Axel Wernicke
2006-01-02 11:28:19 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Hi,

Am 02.01.2006 um 11:08 schrieb Jason Bassett:

Hello

AFAIK the "install" process just creates the .gimp-2.2 directory in the home directory of the user and stores some preferences files in there. You could try to make a template .gimp-2.2 directory - one which does not have any user dependencies and distribute this into the user directories of all users you want to use GIMP without "installing" it.

hth, lexa

Jason

Rikard Johnels
2006-01-02 11:45:37 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On Monday 02 January 2006 11:28, Axel Wernicke wrote:

Hi,

Am 02.01.2006 um 11:08 schrieb Jason Bassett:

Hello

AFAIK the "install" process just creates the .gimp-2.2 directory in the home directory of the user and stores some preferences files in there. You could try to make a template .gimp-2.2 directory - one which does not have any user dependencies and distribute this into the user directories of all users you want to use GIMP without "installing" it.

hth, lexa

Jason

_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

---
Live is like a chocolate box, you never know what you wanna get... GPG Signatur auf http://wernicke-online.net/Impressum/ prüfen

I would add the .gimp tree in the system skeleton ( /etc/skel/) for new users.
That way all users added will automagically get the settings..