RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

gimp-python source wanted

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

gimp-python source wanted Tristan Miller 30 Dec 00:47
  gimp-python source wanted Manish Singh 30 Dec 02:03
gimp-python source wanted Tristan Miller 30 Dec 03:16
  gimp-python source wanted Owen Cook 30 Dec 03:39
  gimp-python source wanted Manish Singh 30 Dec 03:55
   gimp-python source wanted Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 30 Dec 06:24
  gimp-python source wanted Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 30 Dec 06:22
Tristan Miller
2005-12-30 00:47:43 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Greetings.

I'm looking for the source package for the latest version of gimp-python. The official FTP distribution site at is rejecting connections. If
someone could point me to an FTP or HTTP mirror, that would be great.

Regards, Tristan

Manish Singh
2005-12-30 02:03:39 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 12:47:43AM +0100, Tristan Miller wrote:

Greetings.

I'm looking for the source package for the latest version of gimp-python. The official FTP distribution site at is rejecting connections. If

It's distributed in the same tarball as the rest of GIMP, since, well, before GIMP 2.0.

-Yosh

Tristan Miller
2005-12-30 03:16:18 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Greetings.

In article , Manish Singh wrote:

Greetings.

It's distributed in the same tarball as the rest of GIMP, since, well, before GIMP 2.0.

Hm... one does not get that impressed by Googling for "gimp-python" and reading the first site that comes up , which purports to be the
official distribution site.

I'll try downloading the whole GIMP tarball and seeing if I can build just the gimp-python part. I'm using a SuSE 9.3 system with gimp-2.2.9 installed via the official RPMs, which don't include gimp-python. Neither can I find any SuSE gimp-python RPM. ("apt-cache search gimp-python" and related searches come up empty.)

Regards, Tristan

Owen Cook
2005-12-30 03:39:59 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005, Tristan Miller wrote:

Hm... one does not get that impressed by Googling for "gimp-python" and reading the first site that comes up , which purports to be the

I'll try downloading the whole GIMP tarball and seeing if I can build just the gimp-python part. I'm using a SuSE 9.3 system with gimp-2.2.9 installed via the official RPMs, which don't include gimp-python. Neither can I find any SuSE gimp-python RPM. ("apt-cache search gimp-python" and related searches come up empty.)

I am surprised that there is not a "gimp-python" in suse, there is certainly one in the Ubuntu which is the flavour of the month here.

Would highly commend you try building the Gimp from source even if you don't install it

When you run a ./configure --endless-options it will tell you what is missing from your system and maybe the suse set up can get them for you

That way you will have a 'complete' Gimp

Owen

Manish Singh
2005-12-30 03:55:49 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 03:16:18AM +0100, Tristan Miller wrote:

Greetings.

Greetings.

Given that the page talks about GIMP 1.0 and 1.1 and not anything newer, you could also have assumed it's a bit dated.

Google doesn't always give the right answer either. Remember that.

It isn't very straightforward to build things piecemeal like that, though it is *possible* if you know what you're doing. Better to file a bug with SuSE and get them to package it.

-Yosh

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2005-12-30 06:22:28 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On Friday 30 December 2005 12:16 am, Tristan Miller wrote:

Greetings.

Greetings.

I'm looking for the source package for the latest version of gimp-python. The official FTP distribution site at is rejecting
connections. If someone could point me to an FTP or HTTP mirror, that would be great.

Hm... one does not get that impressed by Googling for "gimp-python" and reading the first site that comes up , which purports to be
the official distribution site.

yes..Ther indeed is no way to get a bianry of GIMP-python for SuSE. (ijsut spent more time looking for it than it would take me to write the script for you. - but I oppened a request for it on SuSE's bugzilla).

You have to download the GIMP source, pass the configure script, with the "--prefix" parameter to be the same as in SuSE, and with the "--enable-python" option.

The configure script will spill out some errors due to missing packages (most likely py-gtk-devel and so on) Install the packages and retry until it finishes fine.

Then, just change to the dir plug-ins/pygimp and type make and make install (as root)

Then, it is a matter of pickingone the example scripts, and modify it to make the steps you described - just look in the PDB-browser (XTNS menu) for the correct functions to call and its parameters. I will write it if I am available later.

Regards,
Tristan

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2005-12-30 06:24:09 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On Friday 30 December 2005 12:55 am, Manish Singh wrote:

It isn't very straightforward to build things piecemeal like that, though it is *possible* if you know what you're doing. Better to file a bug with SuSE and get them to package it.

been there:
https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=141117

but it will take a couple of months at least.

-Yosh