RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Problems Editing a Scanned Image

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Problems Editing a Scanned Image Mark Phillips 21 Dec 21:25
  Problems Editing a Scanned Image Vytautas P. 21 Dec 21:47
  Problems Editing a Scanned Image Carol Spears 22 Dec 20:17
Problems Editing a Scanned Image Tristan Miller 30 Dec 01:05
200512211437.41386.mark@phi... 07 Oct 20:17
  Problems Editing a Scanned Image Vytautas P. 22 Dec 15:03
Mark Phillips
2005-12-21 21:25:57 UTC (over 18 years ago)

I need some help getting a scanned image into an OpenOffice document without the black speckled background. This is what I did:

1. Used XSANE 0.97 to scan the signature form my HP G95 printer/scanner. 2. Saved as tiff file.
3. Opened the tiff file in The Gimp 2.2 4. Cut the signature out of the scanned image and pasted it into a new Gimp document (so it would not be full page but just a small block). 5. Saved the document as a jpg
6. Inserted the jpg into my OpenOffice 2.0 document. 7. Printed the page with the signature on the G95 and the signature has black speckles around it.

I tried setting the background to white in the saved signature file (step 5) but I still get the black speckles. They do not show up on the screen.

I think I need a transparent background in the signature file, but I do not know how to make it transparent.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give me.

Vytautas P.
2005-12-21 21:47:31 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Layers>Transparency>Add Alpha Channel erase all unneeded places and save as PNG file.

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 22:25:57 +0200, Mark Phillips wrote:

I need some help getting a scanned image into an OpenOffice document without
the black speckled background. This is what I did:

1. Used XSANE 0.97 to scan the signature form my HP G95 printer/scanner. 2. Saved as tiff file.
3. Opened the tiff file in The Gimp 2.2 4. Cut the signature out of the scanned image and pasted it into a new Gimp
document (so it would not be full page but just a small block). 5. Saved the document as a jpg
6. Inserted the jpg into my OpenOffice 2.0 document. 7. Printed the page with the signature on the G95 and the signature has black
speckles around it.

I tried setting the background to white in the saved signature file (step 5)
but I still get the black speckles. They do not show up on the screen.

I think I need a transparent background in the signature file, but I do not
know how to make it transparent.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give me.

Vytautas P.
2005-12-22 15:03:06 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Check if Image>Mode is selected as RGB. Then as told below.

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 16:37:41 -0500, Mark Phillips wrote:

I cannot select "Add Alpha Channel" - it is grayed out.

Mark

On Wednesday 21 December 2005 01:47 pm, Vytautas P. wrote:

Layers>Transparency>Add Alpha Channel erase all unneeded places and save as PNG file.

Carol Spears
2005-12-22 20:17:40 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 01:25:57PM -0700, Mark Phillips wrote:

I need some help getting a scanned image into an OpenOffice document without the black speckled background. This is what I did:

3. Opened the tiff file in The Gimp 2.2 4. Cut the signature out of the scanned image and pasted it into a new Gimp document (so it would not be full page but just a small block).

right here. a new step will help you right here. use the levels tool on the Value. the speckles have probably been scanned in and you might be able to remove a lot of them by adjusting the three triangles right under the graphical information on that dialog.

the removing backgrounds tutorials at www.gimp.org should be helpful for additional methods and also the despeckle plug-in might help (Filters/Enhance/Despeckle)

probably you don't see them in gimp because the view in your image window is set to 25% or 33%.

5. Saved the document as a jpg
6. Inserted the jpg into my OpenOffice 2.0 document.

OpenOffice and GIMP are reproducing the scan accurately.

7. Printed the page with the signature on the G95 and the signature has black speckles around it.

carol

Tristan Miller
2005-12-30 01:05:27 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Greetings.

In article , Mark Phillips wrote:

3. Opened the tiff file in The Gimp 2.2 4. Cut the signature out of the scanned image and pasted it into a new Gimp document (so it would not be full page but just a small block). 5. Saved the document as a jpg
6. Inserted the jpg into my OpenOffice 2.0 document. 7. Printed the page with the signature on the G95 and the signature has black speckles around it.

As others have noted, the speckles could be part of the original scan. However, they could also be artifacts introduced by JPEG compression. After you've tried what the other posters have suggested, try also saving the graphic in a lossless format such as PNG or TIFF, and then importing that instead of the JPEG into your document.

Regards, Tristan