RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Measure distance ratios

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Measure distance ratios Jago Pearce 19 Dec 16:30
  Measure distance ratios Alex Feldman 20 Dec 03:12
Jago Pearce
2005-12-19 16:30:36 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Measure distance ratios

I need to measure distances quickly.

For example, if I was to screenshot this email window I could use the `Measure distances and angles` tool to measure the width of the Window. That's good but to I want to display a ratio of this distance beyond or short of the measurement.

For example:

------ x1.5 = ---------

Why is this useful for all artists? -because 1.671 or 3.14 are the magic numbers used in art all the time, aka the "magic ratio" or fibonacci sequence

Thanks, hope for a good discussion and hope we can stay ontopic or move to the right place.

- jago25_98

Alex Feldman
2005-12-20 03:12:10 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Measure distance ratios

"Jago" == Jago Pearce writes:

Jago> Why is this useful for all artists? -because 1.671 or 3.14 are the Jago> magic numbers used in art all the time, aka the "magic ratio" or Jago> fibonacci sequence

Jago> Thanks, hope for a good discussion and hope we can stay ontopic or Jago> move to the right place.

Sorry, but I'll go off topic - don't have an answer to your gimp question. I'm sure you know that 3.14 has little to do with the golden mean, but 1.671 isn't right either. It is closer to 1.618. The difference is important if you are going to do one of the continued fraction type pictures that are so popular.

For an unusual application of the golden mean see my bathroom floor on my web page.