RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

mebbe easy - replace car color but preserve highlights

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

mebbe easy - replace car color but preserve highlights Brad Lyon 16 Dec 19:03
  mebbe easy - replace car color but preserve highlights David Neary 16 Dec 19:32
  mebbe easy - replace car color but preserve highlights Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 16 Dec 19:59
   mebbe easy - replace car color but preserve highlights Jeffrey Brent McBeth 16 Dec 20:03
  mebbe easy - replace car color but preserve highlights Vytautas P. 16 Dec 21:08
Brad Lyon
2005-12-16 19:03:37 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Please point me at FAQ or whatever if I'm missing something

Basically, I would like to replace a car color, but not affect the highlights/lighting affects on the car. For example, if a car is green, but the picture has it in a certain light, the green will be mixed with white light, etc. I just want to repalce the underlying green, but let that mix with the external light the same way that the actual green is. Is there a way to do this? Basically, for the car itself, for whatever fraction of green a certain pixel has, I want to change that green to something else. I might use a plain blue as the replacement, but it would mix "realistically" - hopefully.

TIA

David Neary
2005-12-16 19:32:04 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Hi Brad,

You want colormap rotation Filters->Colors->Map->Colormap rotation

You select a portion of the hue spectrum in the input, map it to a portion of the spectrum in the output, and highlights and shadows are kept.

Cheers, Dave.

Brad Lyon wrote:

Basically, I would like to replace a car color, but not affect the highlights/lighting affects on the car. For example, if a car is green, but the picture has it in a certain light, the green will be mixed with white light, etc. I just want to repalce the underlying green, but let that mix with the external light the same way that the actual green is. Is there a way to do this? Basically, for the car itself, for whatever fraction of green a certain pixel has, I want to change that green to something else. I might use a plain blue as the replacement, but it would mix "realistically" - hopefully.

TIA

_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2005-12-16 19:59:39 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On Friday 16 December 2005 04:03 pm, Brad Lyon wrote:

TIA

Try using layers->Colors->HSV , and changing the hue. If there are other greens in the image, have the car selected first.

Jeffrey Brent McBeth
2005-12-16 20:03:54 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 04:59:39PM -0200, Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:

Try using layers->Colors->HSV , and changing the hue. If there are other greens in the image, have the car selected first.

I've had more success with the HSV mentioned above as I have had to match exact colors. In general, it is more flexible than the rotate palette option

Jeff

Vytautas P.
2005-12-16 21:08:46 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Layers>Colors options offer many ways to accomplish this task. Pick your green car (by the way isn't it Volvo?) with color picking tool (Shift+O) and change some settings like hue; you can desaturate and then colourize your selection.

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 20:03:37 +0200, Brad Lyon wrote:

TIA

_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user