RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Button halo help needed

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Button halo help needed Mike Campbell 19 Sep 22:11
  Button halo help needed Carol Spears 19 Sep 22:45
   Button halo help needed Mike Campbell 19 Sep 23:09
Mike Campbell
2005-09-19 22:11:31 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Button halo help needed

I'm trying to create a button halo as shown in the image at http://www.freewebs.com/knievel/tipstricks.htm but not having much luck. I have been playing with bordered selections and stroking a selection but can't quite get the same effect as show here. Can anyone give me a hand on how to do this?

I can create the rounded rectangle and fill it with black and then reduce the transparency to 50%. So far so good. The problem is the halo affect. Please help me out.

Thanks,
Mike

Carol Spears
2005-09-19 22:45:40 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Button halo help needed

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 03:11:31PM -0500, Mike Campbell wrote:

I'm trying to create a button halo as shown in the image at http://www.freewebs.com/knievel/tipstricks.htm but not having much luck. I have been playing with bordered selections and stroking a selection but can't quite get the same effect as show here. Can anyone give me a hand on how to do this?

I can create the rounded rectangle and fill it with black and then reduce the transparency to 50%. So far so good. The problem is the halo affect. Please help me out.

are you trying to use selections?

the Simple Floating Logo tutorial at www.gimp.org tells indirectly how to get this same effect. it is an old tutorial, originally written for gimp-1.0, so things work a little differently now -- but not that differently.

if you are able to get the shape you want in a selection, transform the selection into a path and use the Stroke Path dialog to make the white on black part for the tutorial. after that, use the tutorial as if your shape is text. you might need to fiddle with the settings to get the right sort of transparency for the tubular look i see there.

selections are actually layer masks -- and if you watch the Channel Dialog while working with them, you will see that.

i have found that simple jobs are done very nicely with Selections but if you really would like to have control over your efforts, understanding how layers can and do work is the very best way to handle and work with GIMP.

let me and the mail list know if you are successful and which method worked best for you! everyone has different experiences and successes and i am curious about all of them.

actually, not getting it to work is just as interesting to me....

carol

Mike Campbell
2005-09-19 23:09:28 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Button halo help needed

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

Well I think I got what I was looking to do. I'm not sure if it is the easiest solution or not but seems to work.

I create the rounded rectangle as desired in a new layer. I select the entire rounded rectangle and shrink the selection by 10 pixels. Next I border the selection by 6 pixels and create a 2nd layer to fill the bordered part with the desired color. I end up with a 2 new layers - 1  that has the 50% transparent black region and 1 that has the halo glow.

Carol Spears wrote:

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 03:11:31PM -0500, Mike Campbell wrote:

are you trying to use selections?

the Simple Floating Logo tutorial at www.gimp.org tells indirectly how to get this same effect. it is an old tutorial, originally written for gimp-1.0, so things work a little differently now -- but not that differently.

if you are able to get the shape you want in a selection, transform the selection into a path and use the Stroke Path dialog to make the white on black part for the tutorial. after that, use the tutorial as if your shape is text. you might need to fiddle with the settings to get the right sort of transparency for the tubular look i see there.

selections are actually layer masks -- and if you watch the Channel Dialog while working with them, you will see that.

i have found that simple jobs are done very nicely with Selections but if you really would like to have control over your efforts, understanding how layers can and do work is the very best way to handle and work with GIMP.

let me and the mail list know if you are successful and which method worked best for you! everyone has different experiences and successes and i am curious about all of them.

actually, not getting it to work is just as interesting to me....

carol