RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Polygon Selection Tool?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Polygon Selection Tool? Chris Spencer 13 Sep 07:37
  Polygon Selection Tool? Steve Stavropoulos 13 Sep 14:41
   Polygon Selection Tool? Sven Neumann 13 Sep 21:33
  Polygon Selection Tool? Sven Neumann 13 Sep 14:42
   Polygon Selection Tool? Chris Spencer 14 Sep 02:20
    Polygon Selection Tool? Sven Neumann 14 Sep 03:31
   Polygon Selection Tool? percy tiglao 14 Sep 06:03
    Polygon Selection Tool? Carol Spears 14 Sep 06:24
Chris Spencer
2005-09-13 07:37:54 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Polygon Selection Tool?

Does the GIMP have anything like Photoshop's polygon lasso tool? I've found this tool extremely useful. It's like the GIMP's free select tool, but it allows you to select an arbitrary polygonal selection area by clicking out the points the way you would for a path. It's essentially the freedom of the free select tool with the precision of the rect select tool.

Also, does anyone know an easy way to make word balloons? In Photoshop this could be easily be done by selecting an oval area (ellipse select), union that with a triangular selection (polygon select), then convert to path and stroke.

Regards,
Chris

Steve Stavropoulos
2005-09-13 14:41:23 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Polygon Selection Tool?

2005/9/13, Chris Spencer:

Does the GIMP have anything like Photoshop's polygon lasso tool? I've found this tool extremely useful. It's like the GIMP's free select tool, but it allows you to select an arbitrary polygonal selection area by clicking out the points the way you would for a path. It's essentially the freedom of the free select tool with the precision of the rect select tool.

I see your point. You can easily use paths to do that (click at the points you want and ctrl-click at the first one to close the path. Then turn the path into a selection). Nevertheless, I agree that a polygon selection tool would be nice...

Sven Neumann
2005-09-13 14:42:35 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Polygon Selection Tool?

Hi,

Chris Spencer writes:

Just use the path tool and set it to polygonal mode. You can convert the path to a selection after you closed it.

Also, does anyone know an easy way to make word balloons? In Photoshop this could be easily be done by selecting an oval area (ellipse select), union that with a triangular selection (polygon select), then convert to path and stroke.

That's pretty much how you'd be doing this in GIMP as well. I would however suggest to create this balloon as path and save it to disk. You can then reload the path whenever you need a balloon, scale and stretch it to the desired size and stroke it.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2005-09-13 21:33:11 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Polygon Selection Tool?

Hi,

Steve Stavropoulos writes:

I see your point. You can easily use paths to do that (click at the points you want and ctrl-click at the first one to close the path. Then turn the path into a selection). Nevertheless, I agree that a polygon selection tool would be nice...

And probably one of the easiest tool one could possibly add. So if someone wants to get his/her hands dirty in GIMP code, this is a good chance...

Sven

Chris Spencer
2005-09-14 02:20:24 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Polygon Selection Tool?

Sven Neumann wrote:

That's pretty much how you'd be doing this in GIMP as well. I would however suggest to create this balloon as path and save it to disk. You can then reload the path whenever you need a balloon, scale and stretch it to the desired size and stroke it.

Thanks. However, can you perform boolean operations on paths? I see add, subtract, and intersect functions for selections, but only a "merge" option for visible paths, which just places all nodes on the same layer.

It's a little awkward, but I found I can create the triangular path and add it to an elliptical selection, and then convert this to a path. Unfortunately, the triangular path looses its polygonal qualities and becomes slightly curved, making editing direction of the balloon's arrow somewhat complicated. Is this the easiest way to accomplish this?

Chris

Sven Neumann
2005-09-14 03:31:10 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Polygon Selection Tool?

Hi,

Chris Spencer writes:

Thanks. However, can you perform boolean operations on paths? I see add, subtract, and intersect functions for selections, but only a "merge" option for visible paths, which just places all nodes on the same layer.

Booleam operations on paths are not trivial. Inkscape seems to have some code for this that we might want to borrow.

Sven

percy tiglao
2005-09-14 06:03:30 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Polygon Selection Tool?

On 9/13/05, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Chris Spencer writes:

I dunno about photoshop, but in GIMP, you can stroke selections as well as paths.

Carol Spears
2005-09-14 06:24:42 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Polygon Selection Tool?

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 12:03:30AM -0400, percy tiglao wrote:

On 9/13/05, Sven Neumann wrote:

Chris Spencer writes:

I dunno about photoshop, but in GIMP, you can stroke selections as well as paths.

if you add the path via a script, gimp resizes it perfectly for you. i have a script that is adding svg to two different sizes of image, changing to a selection and filling with a gradient or a color. it should be just as easy with "word balloons".

carol