RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Problem Printing

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Problem Printing Chris Spencer 13 Sep 03:06
  Problem Printing michael chang 13 Sep 03:24
  Problem Printing Akkana Peck 13 Sep 03:53
   Problem Printing michael chang 13 Sep 04:11
Chris Spencer
2005-09-13 03:06:34 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Problem Printing

When I try to print any image (xcf, jpg, png, etc) of reasonable size (4x3 inches) with the GIMP, my printer (HP Deskjet) prints out a single page with:
%!PS-Adobe-3.0
%%Creator: Print plug-in V4.2.7 - 15 Jul 2004 for GIMP/Gimp-Print

and then procedes to print an infinite series of blank pages. I let GIMP run through several dozen pages before I had to cancel the print. Is this a bug, or is there some configuration I'm missing? I haven't had any other problems with this printer.

Regards, Chris

michael chang
2005-09-13 03:24:01 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Problem Printing

On 9/12/05, Chris Spencer wrote:

When I try to print any image (xcf, jpg, png, etc) of reasonable size (4x3 inches) with the GIMP, my printer (HP Deskjet) prints out a single page with:
%!PS-Adobe-3.0

and then procedes to print an infinite series of blank pages. I let GIMP run through several dozen pages before I had to cancel the print. Is this a bug, or is there some configuration I'm missing?

Your printer is misinterpreting GIMP's output as text -- what the output reads is literal postscript. Dunno what exactly causes it, but I know that if you've got a misconfiguration between GIMP-Print (well, techincally it's Gutenprint now), your printing system or setup, and your printer, then that's what'll happen.

What version of GIMP, and Gimp/Gutenprint are you using, and what printing system or setup, printer, and OS (+ version) are you using? That might help.

I haven't had any other problems with this printer.

What else did you print, and how did you print it (e.g. from what application)?

Akkana Peck
2005-09-13 03:53:11 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Problem Printing

Chris Spencer writes:

%!PS-Adobe-3.0

That very often means that you haven't configured the printer type in the gimp-print dialog. It doesn't get your printer type from CUPS or whatever other spooler you might be running; it defaults to postscript, which for most inkjet printers results in printing out a lot of postscript source. (I wish it defaulted to "No printer" or something, and perhaps popped up a dialog asking the user to set the printer type ... if it ever gets straightened out which project owns the gimp-print dialog, perhaps I'll try adding that myself.)

If you've already set gimp-print to the right printer type, then I'm out of ideas and maybe someone with an HP can help. What OS/distro are you running?

...Akkana

michael chang
2005-09-13 04:11:35 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Problem Printing

On 9/12/05, Akkana Peck wrote:

Chris Spencer writes:

%!PS-Adobe-3.0

That very often means that you haven't configured the printer type in the gimp-print dialog. It doesn't get your printer type from CUPS or whatever other spooler you might be running; it defaults to postscript, which for most inkjet printers results in printing out a lot of postscript source.

Yes, I remember this now.

(I wish it defaulted to "No printer" or something, and perhaps popped up a dialog asking the user to set the printer type

Yet this will confuse users who have Inkjets that use printer systems that only read Postscript (see below).

... if it ever gets straightened out which project owns the gimp-print dialog, perhaps I'll try adding that myself.)

Sounds like a good idea. :P

If you've already set gimp-print to the right printer type, then I'm out of ideas and maybe someone with an HP can help. What OS/distro are you running?

I have a HP Deskjet 722C and 842C both in my house. They work fine under CUPS/Debian (stable and testing/unstable). Ironically, by printing to CUPS, I have to send Postscript output to CUPS which then uses another driver to convert Postscript to my printer's native format. So I don't see what the problem might be here, unless he's directly using LPR or something w/o an intermediatary.