RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Epson Stylus Photo R1800 printer support

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Epson Stylus Photo R1800 printer support Alex Feldman 07 Sep 02:59
  Epson Stylus Photo R1800 printer support michael chang 07 Sep 03:14
   Epson Stylus Photo R1800 printer support Alex Feldman 07 Sep 03:28
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 printer support Jos van Kan 07 Sep 13:54
b14e81f00509071813c33eb18@m... 07 Oct 20:17
  Epson Stylus Photo R1800 printer support michael chang 08 Sep 03:13
200509080140.j881eoA8005530... 07 Oct 20:17
  Epson Stylus Photo R1800 printer support michael chang 08 Sep 23:06
Alex Feldman
2005-09-07 02:59:37 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Hi,

I am running Fedora core 3, with Gimp 2.2.6

I would like to print to my Epson Stylus Photo R1800 from the Gimp. I installed Gutenprint 5.0.0.rc1 and it seemed to go in OK. The printer driver went into place, since before the install there was no entry for that printer in the KDE printer installation tool, but afterwards it was there. Moreover, I spent a lot of time with Gutenprint, uninstalling and reinstalling it several times, and there didn't appear to be any problems.

Problem is, the installation did not provide the Gimp with a new print plugin (and yes, I did run configure with the --with-gimp2 option), and I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Gimp. I also tried manually placing what I thought was the Gutenprint plugin manually into the Gimp plugin directory, but that just left it unable to print at all.

I've been on the gimp-print epson forum about this, but they seem to have lost interest in me. I really am out of things to try. If there is anyone out there who has installed Gutenprint 5.0.0.rc1 and has a trick to share, great. Failing that, if anyone has the plugin, is there anyway I could get my hands on it, or a tarball of the whole Gimp distribution (with the Gutenberg plugin)? I really want to get this printer going, and I know of no other way to do it.

Thanks very much for any help anyone can offer.

michael chang
2005-09-07 03:14:39 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On 9/6/05, Alex Feldman wrote:

I would like to print to my Epson Stylus Photo R1800 from the Gimp. I installed Gutenprint 5.0.0.rc1 and it seemed to go in OK. The printer

Does gutenprint 5.0.0.rc1 even work with GIMP 2.2.6? Are you sure you don't need a built-from-source development version? I mean it *is* a recent Release Candidate of the printer driver...

Try upgrading to 2.2.8. If you can, try compiling 2.3.3 (development version) if 2.2.8 doesn't work. Otherwise, I have no clue.

Alex Feldman
2005-09-07 03:28:08 UTC (over 18 years ago)

"M" == michael chang writes:

M> On 9/6/05, Alex Feldman wrote:

I would like to print to my Epson Stylus Photo R1800 from the Gimp. I installed Gutenprint 5.0.0.rc1 and it seemed to go in OK. The printer

M> Does gutenprint 5.0.0.rc1 even work with GIMP 2.2.6? Are you sure M> you don't need a built-from-source development version? I mean it M> *is* a recent Release Candidate of the printer driver...

M> Try upgrading to 2.2.8. If you can, try compiling 2.3.3 (development M> version) if 2.2.8 doesn't work. Otherwise, I have no clue.

Well, I can give it a try. As I'm sure you know, that involves several other upgrades, some of which have caused me trouble. The Gutenprint README sayes it works with any Gimp 2.x, and even Gimp 1.2, so it ought to work.

Does anyone out there have it working?

Thanks.

Jos van Kan
2005-09-07 13:54:36 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Alex Feldman wrote:

(snip)

Does anyone out there have it working?

Yes. GIMP 2.2.4, SuSE 9.3. Gutenprint worked straight out of the box (--with-gimp2 --with-cups), so can't really help you.

Regards,

michael chang
2005-09-08 03:13:18 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On 9/7/05, Alex Feldman wrote:

M> Can you print with anything else? E.g. a test page from your print M> setup (e.g. CUPS) or another app?

I did get a test page. I haven't really tried much else (what I did try failed, but that was early in the process), since all I really want from this printer is to print photos, and there are a lot of reasons why I

If you can't print anything else, it doesn't help, although it *is* a photo printer, I suppose.

would like to do that with Gimp. I have tried the avasys driver for the R800, and that didn't work.

I did get a reply that it works with SuSE. No one has said it works with FC3.

To be honest, I have a HP Deskjet 722C. I use GIMP 2.2.8, and Debian, but I haven't even touched Gutenprint -- yet.

As for the printer not working...

Then again, does this help?

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Epson-Stylus_Photo_R1800 [Printer does not support PJL.]

Umm... someone tell us, does Gutenprint or GIMP even touch PJL? If not, well... I have no clue. If it does... *shrugs* You're pretty much on your own.

That said, if you have a version of Windows, the Windows build of GIMP will usually print on Windows' print system... but *shrugs*

Now that I think about it, I think... is it even POSSIBLE to build a GIMP plugin without GIMP and GTK development libraries? Someone tell me the answer... ^^

Maybe try building GTK+, GIMP, and then Gutenprint from source, in that order. Use the latest versions stable version if you can (or feel free to try fiddling with a devel release, if you dare). Build dependencies or get the libxyz-dev(el) packages/rpms as necessary. Good luck.

--
~Mike
- Just my two cents
- No man is an island, and no man is unable.

michael chang
2005-09-08 23:06:48 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On 9/7/05, Alex Feldman wrote:

I've built all the development libraries - it warns you about that in the README. The problem is that Gutenberg isn't putting its plugin in the Gimp directory, and appears not to be doing that because there is something wrong with the plugin - I say that because when I try to install it manually, I can't print anything.

Ordinarily I think it is a problem with me, but I really now believe there is something fishy about Gutenprint and FC3. Back to bugzilla.

Please don't hate my bias, but FC3 is just a funky (as in fishy as in weird and not really perfect) system. It /could/ be that using GCC 4 will fail on Gutenprint -- in that case, try migrating to Debian Stable/Sarge (which still uses 3.3/3.4). Or even just FC3 not likeing Gutenprint. Unfortunately, AFAIK, Gimp 2.2.8 is only in sid and newer, but those rely on GCC 4.0 (as does the latest Debian build of GNOME and various other things).

Does the README say anything about GCC 4?