RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Publishing Gimp book

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Publishing Gimp book cedric GEMY 05 Sep 22:48
  Publishing Gimp book Axel Wernicke 06 Sep 17:23
   Publishing Gimp book michael chang 06 Sep 22:58
   Publishing Gimp book Jonathan Bartlett 07 Sep 00:13
cedric GEMY
2005-09-05 22:48:49 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Publishing Gimp book

I'm not sure that the speed Gimp is developed can stop publisher. Of course they like to have up2date docs but as they think in years, they will usually work on book update when necessary. For those who want to self-publish book, it is easily possible. That's what have been done for [a la] SOS GIMP (http://www.le-radar.com), which is a FGDL book. Translation of it could be done. For people who to test that : a first is an average of 6 month work. Application documentation are very hard to do as they have to be very precise.

If Olivier need some help for self publication in France, i can help.

I also would like to say that i'm working on a new book. Not a learning one, but an example one, with graphists tips. 3 people are already OK to contribute, but other are welcome. The purpose is to show what good job can be do with free softwares (we know that but not everybody). If self published this book could be under a Free licence.

Cedric

Axel Wernicke
2005-09-06 17:23:54 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Publishing Gimp book

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1

Sorry for asking a probably stupid question, but what means self- publishing? Writing and contributing to/with a license that allowes everybody to download a book and to sell the printed version parallel?

lexA -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (Darwin)

iD8DBQFDHbSLR9mXLVsAbiQRAl6lAJ9Lblw66gLeZJaXQJd9Lbbww0koNQCgphbn 0ndLncHWGzyoFcs6dNzl3X8=
=i/8W
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

michael chang
2005-09-06 22:58:05 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Publishing Gimp book

On 9/6/05, Axel Wernicke wrote:

Sorry for asking a probably stupid question, but what means self- publishing? Writing and contributing to/with a license that allowes everybody to download a book and to sell the printed version parallel?

I think it's *supposed* to mean handling e.g. printing and sales of the book and whatnot by oneself, although I don't know the details. That said, e-books are always quite nice. Have you ever heard of Creative Commons (creativecommons.org)? ^^

Jonathan Bartlett
2005-09-07 00:13:20 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Publishing Gimp book

Self-publishing simply means that the author is the publisher. This can be for any kind of book. I personally self-publish a GFDL book, and can provide guidance for anyone wanting to do something similar. Open licenses means that micro-publishers (which include self-publishers) can publish books that they have not paid to write. Technically, anyone could download my book and publish it on their own. In fact, I believe that is actually happening for translations. Most people do not because it would be a waste of time to simply re-publish under another title what someone else is already the de facto seller of. If anyone is interested in my book, see:

http://www.cafeshops.com/bartlettpublish.8640017

If anyone would like assistance self-publishing, you can email me at johnnyb@eskimo.com.

Jon