RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

reading 42bit colour files

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

reading 42bit colour files Dave Anderson 04 Sep 16:36
  reading 42bit colour files jim feldman 06 Sep 09:34
   reading 42bit colour files Robin Laing 06 Sep 18:23
Dave Anderson
2005-09-04 16:36:27 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Hi,

I'm scanning in images at 42 bit depth, but unfortunately my software doesn't do LZW TIFF compression so I'm using gimp for that. If I read in to gimp a 42 bit file and write out a compressed TIFF, I guess I've lost my 42 bit depth until gimp supports 42 bit. Is that right?

thanks Dave

jim feldman
2005-09-06 09:34:21 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Quoting Dave Anderson :

Hi,

I'm scanning in images at 42 bit depth, but unfortunately my

software

doesn't do LZW TIFF compression so I'm using gimp for that. If I

read in to

gimp a 42 bit file and write out a compressed TIFF, I guess I've

lost my 42

> bit depth until gimp supports 42 bit. Is that right?

Yes.  Cinepaint (formally film gimp) will handle 16 bit/color, 48 bit images.  It's main problem is that it's not really meant for big scans (film frames are actually not all that big), and it's based on an old fork of gimp.  I use it to tweak levels and write the image back out.  I then use regular gimp (2.2.8)

from what I gather from the list, the gimp devos are holding off supporting more than 8 bits till they re-write major portions of the code.  As in not in the near future. (feel free to correct me)

I've got a 16/48 bit scanner, and I'm looking at a DSLR that produces 12/36 bit raw files.  Thats a lot of data to toss, and it's what will drive me to a windoze platform to support the tools (raw decoders and image manipulators) that will work with all the data thats in the image.  I wish I had the skillz to contribute because it's definitly a scratch I need to itch.

jim

---------------------------------------------------------------- This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.

Robin Laing
2005-09-06 18:23:59 UTC (over 18 years ago)

jim feldman wrote:

Quoting Dave Anderson :

> Hi, >
> I'm scanning in images at 42 bit depth, but unfortunately my software > doesn't do LZW TIFF compression so I'm using gimp for that. If I read in to
> gimp a 42 bit file and write out a compressed TIFF, I guess I've lost my 42

> bit depth until gimp supports 42 bit. Is that right?

Yes. Cinepaint (formally film gimp) will handle 16 bit/color, 48 bit images. It's main problem is that it's not really meant for big scans (film frames are actually not all that big), and it's based on an old fork of gimp. I use it to tweak levels and write the image back out. I then use regular gimp (2.2.8)

from what I gather from the list, the gimp devos are holding off supporting more than 8 bits till they re-write major portions of the code. As in not in the near future. (feel free to correct me)

I've got a 16/48 bit scanner, and I'm looking at a DSLR that produces 12/36 bit raw files. Thats a lot of data to toss, and it's what will drive me to a windoze platform to support the tools (raw decoders and image manipulators) that will work with all the data thats in the image. I wish I had the skillz to contribute because it's definitly a scratch I need to itch.

jim

I am in the same boat as GIMP is not working anymore for what I need. It is nice to try things but without decent colour depth it is becoming useless.

I have submitted my comments to the bug tracker and advise others to do it as well.

I wish I had more time as I would try to learn more on how to help with the change and much needed improvement to the colour depth.