RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Pixel art in Linux

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Pixel art in Linux percy tiglao 29 Aug 23:06
  Pixel art in Linux Simon Budig 29 Aug 23:14
   Pixel art in Linux percy tiglao 29 Aug 23:24
    Pixel art in Linux Michael Schumacher 29 Aug 23:32
    Pixel art in Linux Simon Budig 29 Aug 23:34
     Pixel art in Linux percy tiglao 30 Aug 03:16
      Pixel art in Linux percy tiglao 20 Sep 01:48
  Pixel art in Linux Karine Delvare 29 Aug 23:15
percy tiglao
2005-08-29 23:06:33 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Pixel art in Linux

Hello, I was messing around with the gimp and it great for nearly everything i need.

However, I'm not sure how to do a few things that would make things much easier when I do my pixel art.

1. A "preview box" of some kind. Like, one without any guides sticking in it that shows the finished picture at a 1:1 scale. I work zoomed in (usually 300-500%) on tiny images and it is annoying to zoom out every change I make. Additionally, I'd have to remove guides to really see how the picture looks like.

2. A way to simply specify radius of pencils. Brushes are awesome, however I prefer just simply drawing a 1 pixel circle, or a 2 pixel circle with the pencil took without looking for a brush of that size.

Also, if there are any other programs you reccomend for Pixel art, I'll be happy to know. My only requirement is that there must be a free linux version :-)

Simon Budig
2005-08-29 23:14:34 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Pixel art in Linux

percy tiglao (prtiglao@gmail.com) wrote:

1. A "preview box" of some kind.
Like, one without any guides sticking in it that shows the finished picture at a 1:1 scale. I work zoomed in (usually 300-500%) on tiny images and it is annoying to zoom out every change I make. Additionally, I'd have to remove guides to really see how the picture looks like.

You can open a second view to your image. The zoom level, guide visibility etc. is independant in this image view.

2. A way to simply specify radius of pencils. Brushes are awesome, however I prefer just simply drawing a 1 pixel circle, or a 2 pixel circle with the pencil took without looking for a brush of that size.

by clicking the "new" button in the brush selection dialog you get a dialog where you can adjust the parameters of the brush. You can also assign keyboard shortcuts to these parameters, so that you can easily change the radius of this brush on the fly.

I hope this helps, Simon

Karine Delvare
2005-08-29 23:15:42 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Pixel art in Linux

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 17:06:33 -0400 percy tiglao wrote:

Like, one without any guides sticking in it that shows the finished picture at a 1:1 scale. I work zoomed in (usually 300-500%) on tiny images and it is annoying to zoom out every change I make. Additionally, I'd have to remove guides to really see how the picture looks like.

You want to use View -> New View. You'll then have a second image where you can stay in 1:1 scale and remove marching ants, layer boundaries, and so on (also in the View menu).

percy tiglao
2005-08-29 23:24:46 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Pixel art in Linux

On 8/29/05, Simon Budig wrote:

Like, one without any guides sticking in it that shows the finished

picture

at a 1:1 scale. I work zoomed in (usually 300-500%) on tiny images and

it is

annoying to zoom out every change I make. Additionally, I'd have to

remove

guides to really see how the picture looks like.

You can open a second view to your image. The zoom level, guide visibility etc. is independant in this image view.

I just tried that, while it somewhat works, the guides are still stuck in there :( When i remove guides in the new view, they are removed in the old view as well.

2. A way to simply specify radius of pencils.

Brushes are awesome, however I prefer just simply drawing a 1 pixel

circle,

or a 2 pixel circle with the pencil took without looking for a brush of

that

size.

by clicking the "new" button in the brush selection dialog you get a dialog where you can adjust the parameters of the brush. You can also assign keyboard shortcuts to these parameters, so that you can easily change the radius of this brush on the fly.

Works great. Thanks :)

Michael Schumacher
2005-08-29 23:32:00 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Pixel art in Linux

percy tiglao wrote:

On 8/29/05, *Simon Budig* > wrote:

I just tried that, while it somewhat works, the guides are still stuck in there :( When i remove guides in the new view, they are removed in the old view as well.

Don't remove them, just uncheck the 'Show guides' toggle in the view menu.

BTW, please configure your mail client to not send HTML.

HTH, Michael

Simon Budig
2005-08-29 23:34:04 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Pixel art in Linux

You need to toggle the visibility in the View menu. Guides are considered part of the image, so removing them in one image (by dragging them to the rulers) will remove them in all views. However, by just toggeling the visibility you'll just make them invisible in a specific view.

Hope this helps,
Simon

percy tiglao
2005-08-30 03:16:06 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Pixel art in Linux

You need to toggle the visibility in the View menu. Guides are considered part of the image, so removing them in one image (by dragging them to the rulers) will remove them in all views. However, by just toggeling the visibility you'll just make them invisible in a specific view.

Thank you everyone, and sorry for the HTML in email thing. I didn't realize I had it on.

percy tiglao
2005-09-20 01:48:42 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Pixel art in Linux

Hello. Thanks again for helping me a few weeks ago, but I have another question.

Is there a way to quickly preview a tiling of a picture you just made?

For example, lets say I'm making a 32x32 of grass, I'd like to make sure the grass looks good when I tile them together (Make sure it flows and that there aren't "lines" going down the picture)

The ideal case is when I change the first "view" or whatever that I could instantly see changes in another picture.