RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

'Pick a layer or guide' suggestion

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

'Pick a layer or guide' suggestion Eric P 17 May 03:32
  'Pick a layer or guide' suggestion Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 17 May 06:19
   'Pick a layer or guide' suggestion Eric P 18 May 01:57
    'Pick a layer or guide' suggestion Sven Neumann 18 May 21:25
Eric P
2005-05-17 03:32:41 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

I have a handful of Gimp images that have 50+ layers.

With the move tool's 'Pick a layer or guide' selected, I can quickly find where a particular layer is in the stack with a left click. However, as soon as I let go of the mouse, I've lost where the layer is as the selected layer switches back to the layer that was selected prior. Now I have to remember about how far down the layer, remember the layer name and dig to find it so I can work on it.

Wouldn't it make sense to have the layer you've just picked in this manner automatically become the selected layer?

Opinions please.

Eric P.

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2005-05-17 06:19:45 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Monday 16 May 2005 22:32, Eric P wrote:

With the move tool's 'Pick a layer or guide' selected, I can quickly find where a particular layer is in the stack with a left click. However, as soon as I let go of the mouse, I've lost where the layer is as the selected layer switches back to the layer that was selected prior. Now I have to remember about how far down the layer, remember the layer name and dig to find it so I can work on it.

Wouldn't it make sense to have the layer you've just picked in this manner automatically become the selected layer?

Opinions please.

Hi Eric!
What you describes was the default behaviour of the GIMP uyp to the 2.0 series.

When the new behavioyr was introduced, people perceived exactly what you are asking for. Then, the old behaviour was made available via a setting in the preferences dialog (in the tool setting, I believe).

Regards, JS
->

Eric P.

Eric P
2005-05-18 01:57:04 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:

On Monday 16 May 2005 22:32, Eric P wrote:

Opinions please.

Hi Eric!
What you describes was the default behaviour of the GIMP uyp to the 2.0 series.

When the new behavioyr was introduced, people perceived exactly what you are asking for. Then, the old behaviour was made available via a setting in the preferences dialog (in the tool setting, I believe).

Hey Joao,

Hmm... all I see is 'Pick a layer or guide' and 'Move the current layer'. Neither of these do what I'm talking about. Exactly what preference are you referring to?

Thanks, Eric P.

Regards,
JS
->

Sven Neumann
2005-05-18 21:25:58 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Hi,

Eric P writes:

Hmm... all I see is 'Pick a layer or guide' and 'Move the current layer'. Neither of these do what I'm talking about. Exactly what preference are you referring to?

What you are looking for is found in the Preferences dialog.

Sven