RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

16 bit in Gimp

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

16 bit in Gimp Ronald Arvidsson 02 May 13:36
  16 bit in Gimp Olivier Ripoll 02 May 17:52
Ronald Arvidsson
2005-05-02 13:36:18 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

16 bit in Gimp

Hi,

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I have the need to do it. Are there any plans to make Gimp 16 bit compatible so that 16 bit images (e.g. photos) are not transformed to 8 bit. I know there have been plans but have not seen anything. What would be necessary in terms of programming to do it? As I see it this is one of the most important issues to address in order to compete with e.g. P.S. since 16 bit images are now becoming more and more usual and quite improtant to some of us who work with larger dynamic range pictures.

Cheers,

Ronald

Olivier Ripoll
2005-05-02 17:52:55 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

16 bit in Gimp

Ronald Arvidsson wrote:

Hi,

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I have the need to do it. Are there any plans to make Gimp 16 bit compatible so that 16 bit images (e.g. photos) are not transformed to 8 bit. I know there have been plans but have not seen anything. What would be necessary in terms of programming to do it? As I see it this is one of the most important issues to address in order to compete with e.g. P.S. since 16 bit images are now becoming more and more usual and quite improtant to some of us who work with larger dynamic range pictures.

Cheers,

Ronald

Hi,

There are plans in the long term. The answer would be: If you need this in the future, feel free to join the developers whose task is to introduce GEGL into gimp (google for GEGL to have some more information).

In the short term, depending on your OS, you may have to use PSP/PS (windows) or cinepaint (linux and similar OSes). Of course, you are still welcome to help the developers ;)

Sincerely,

Olivier