RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

anti-aliasing

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

10 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

anti-aliasing JASON JESSO 26 Apr 15:23
  anti-aliasing Olivier Ripoll 27 Apr 09:59
   anti-aliasing Jason Jesso 27 Apr 12:28
anti-aliasing JASON JESSO 26 Apr 15:52
  anti-aliasing Tom Cat 26 Apr 18:29
   anti-aliasing GSR - FR 27 Apr 00:57
   anti-aliasing Michael Satterwhite 27 Apr 14:40
anti-aliasing Pär Forsling 27 Apr 00:10
  anti-aliasing Jason Jesso 27 Apr 12:29
anti-aliasing Kalle Ounapuu 27 Apr 18:17
JASON JESSO
2005-04-26 15:23:30 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

anti-aliasing

I have an image that looks ok in gimp, but when I import it in a PDF document I get a staircase effect.

How do I smooth the edges in gimp?

JASON JESSO
2005-04-26 15:52:33 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

anti-aliasing

When I maginfy the logo in gimp I see the jagged edges.

I have no idea where to start to fix it.

--- JASON JESSO wrote:

I have an image that looks ok in gimp, but when I import it in a PDF document I get a staircase effect.

Tom Cat
2005-04-26 18:29:34 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

anti-aliasing

You could try the unsharp mask. In gimp 1.x it was filters/enhance. In gimp 2.x it appears to be under ScriptFu/Alchemy.

On 4/26/05, JASON JESSO wrote:

When I maginfy the logo in gimp I see the jagged edges.

I have no idea where to start to fix it.

--- JASON JESSO wrote:

Pär Forsling
2005-04-27 00:10:38 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

anti-aliasing

Tom Cat wrote:

You could try the unsharp mask. In gimp 1.x it was filters/enhance. In gimp 2.x it appears to be under ScriptFu/Alchemy.

Which 2.x do you use? It is still in filters/enhance here, and the documentation is here: http://docs.gimp.org/en/ch07s06s07.html . The one in ScriptFu/Alchemy seems to be a simpler version without preview. I didn't even know there was a unsharp mask script in scriptfu/alchemy.

GSR - FR
2005-04-27 00:57:26 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

anti-aliasing

Hi,
strycat@gmail.com (2005-04-26 at 1229.34 -0400):

Unsharp mask sharpens... and it is not a joke, but derived from the original photographic laboratory technique: as unfocused version of the negative is applied to the original.

GSR

Olivier Ripoll
2005-04-27 09:59:05 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

anti-aliasing

JASON JESSO wrote:

Hi,

When you say you import it into a pdf document, could you detail the process ? In particular, what intermediary file format do you use ? In the (distant) past, pdf could not handle well transparency (IIRC), so it could be something related to alpha channel. Try to "flatten" the image before exporting from gimp.

Sincerely,

Olivier.

Jason Jesso
2005-04-27 12:28:10 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

anti-aliasing

I am using "pdflib" which supports all flavors of PNG.

I am getting staircasing effect on the image.

On April 27, 2005 03:59 am, Olivier Ripoll wrote:

JASON JESSO wrote:

Hi,

When you say you import it into a pdf document, could you detail the process ? In particular, what intermediary file format do you use ? In the (distant) past, pdf could not handle well transparency (IIRC), so it could be something related to alpha channel. Try to "flatten" the image before exporting from gimp.

Sincerely,

Olivier.

Jason Jesso
2005-04-27 12:29:04 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

anti-aliasing

Tried using this but the staircasing effect is still there.

On April 26, 2005 06:10 pm, Pär Forsling wrote:

Tom Cat wrote:

Which 2.x do you use? It is still in filters/enhance here, and the documentation is here: http://docs.gimp.org/en/ch07s06s07.html . The one in ScriptFu/Alchemy seems to be a simpler version without preview. I didn't even know there was a unsharp mask script in scriptfu/alchemy.

Michael Satterwhite
2005-04-27 14:40:41 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

anti-aliasing

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1

Tom Cat wrote:
| You could try the unsharp mask. In gimp 1.x it was filters/enhance. | In gimp 2.x it appears to be under ScriptFu/Alchemy.

While there is an unsharp mask under ScriptFu/Alchemy (I didn't know that till you said it), in 2.x it is still under Filters-enhance. I'm not sure how they differ.

|
| On 4/26/05, JASON JESSO wrote:
|
|>When I maginfy the logo in gimp I see the jagged |>edges.
|>
|>I have no idea where to start to fix it. |>
|>
|>--- JASON JESSO wrote:
|>
|>>I have an image that looks ok in gimp, but when I |>>import it in a PDF document I get a staircase |>>effect.
|>>
|>>How do I smooth the edges in gimp? |>>

Kalle Ounapuu
2005-04-27 18:17:43 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

anti-aliasing

Whenever I place images into documents they always seem to degrade in quality. I'm talking about Word .DOC or Adobe .PDF, etc.

Maybe it has something to do with how those formats deal with compression? Or maybe something to do with dimensions (image too big?), palettes (shares colours with document?), or resolution (pixels per inch).

I would try and get support for importing images into a PDF (Adobe forums). I don't think GIMP can help much, but you can try!

-----Original Message----- From: gimp-user-bounces@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu [mailto:gimp-user-bounces@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of JASON JESSO
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 9:24 AM To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: [Gimp-user] anti-aliasing