RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp 2.2.6 on Fedora Core 3

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Gimp 2.2.6 on Fedora Core 3 Asif Lodhi 16 Apr 23:34
  Gimp 2.2.6 on Fedora Core 3 Owen Cook 17 Apr 01:42
   Gimp 2.2.6 on Fedora Core 3 Barton Bosch 19 Apr 07:48
    Gimp 2.2.6 on Fedora Core 3 Owen Cook 19 Apr 09:25
     Gimp 2.2.6 on Fedora Core 3 Barton Bosch 20 Apr 00:28
  Gimp 2.2.6 on Fedora Core 3 Steve Stavropoulos 17 Apr 05:32
   Gimp 2.2.6 on Fedora Core 3 David Marrs 19 Apr 16:48
20050419190044.4534C11EA1@l... 07 Oct 20:17
  Gimp 2.2.6 on Fedora Core 3 Asif Lodhi 20 Apr 03:13
Asif Lodhi
2005-04-16 23:34:58 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Hi all

I have managed to get Fedora Core 3 installed on my computer through nightly downloads in around 26 days. But the Gimp version is 2.04. I can't find binaries on RedHat's website (Even if I found and downloaded a 2.2.6 binary, would I still be able to run it?). As a last resort, I downloaded gimp2.2.6sources but after reading a very long list of source packages in the INSTALL
doc that 2.26 depends on, I have gave up. It's because I read that you have to have a different prefix if you want to install it parallel to your existing gimp installation. What is meant by Prefix? Further, even if I download all the files, that the gimp depends on, can I build them on my Fedora Core 3 parallel to the equivalent older versions already installed? It would be great if I could get 2.2.6 running with minimum hassle. I receive gimp-user list messages in an email-digest form so my replies won't be that frequent.

Thanks in advance

Asif

Owen Cook
2005-04-17 01:42:05 UTC (about 19 years ago)

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005, Asif Lodhi wrote:

I have managed to get Fedora Core 3 installed on my computer through nightly downloads in around 26 days. But the Gimp version is 2.04. I can't find binaries on RedHat's website (Even if I found and downloaded a 2.2.6 binary, would I still be able to run it?). As a last resort, I downloaded gimp2.2.6sources but after reading a very long list of source packages in the INSTALL
doc that 2.26 depends on, I have gave up. It's because I read that you have to have a different prefix if you want to install it parallel to your existing gimp installation. What is meant by Prefix? Further, even if I download all the files, that the gimp depends on, can I build them on my Fedora Core 3 parallel to the equivalent older versions already installed? It would be great if I could get 2.2.6 running with minimum hassle. I receive gimp-user list messages in an email-digest form so my replies won't be that frequent.

OK, go to your gimp-2.2.6 directory

type ./configure --help and have a read, even it it means little

You will see how to install in another prefix, example

./configure --prefix=/opt will configure so that it is built in /opt

When you press 'Enter' the program will start configuring.

If you are missing any dependencies, it will stop with an error message.

Read the error message and see if you can determine what is missing or out of date. You may have newer rpms (or whatever fedora uses) that you can use to upgrade.

After you have all the dependencies, configure will run to the end. Then you type make

When make is done, type su -c 'make install' and that will install the program in /opt

The executable will be /opt/bin/gimp (which will be symlinked to /opt/bin/gimp-2.2)

If it doesn't work, you wont harm anything, so you have little to lose

HTH

Owen

Steve Stavropoulos
2005-04-17 05:32:53 UTC (about 19 years ago)

On 4/17/05, Asif Lodhi wrote:

I have managed to get Fedora Core 3 installed on my computer through nightly downloads in around 26 days. But the Gimp version is 2.04.

Redhat updated gimp to 2.2 shortly after the release of fedora 3. Your best chance to get this working is to run yum update gimp* This will download and install gimp 2.2.4 and any other software needed. (I _strongly_ suggest to also do a yum update gtk2*)

Barton Bosch
2005-04-19 07:48:01 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Owen Cook wrote:

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005, Asif Lodhi wrote:

OK, go to your gimp-2.2.6 directory

type ./configure --help and have a read, even it it means little

You will see how to install in another prefix, example

./configure --prefix=/opt will configure so that it is built in /opt

I've been meaning to take another shot at learning how to compile the gimp from source for a while now. I'm running FC2 which has rpms available for almost all of the requirements and optional packages. Unfortunately the atk rpm is version 1.6.0 (www.gimp.org/source lists 1.6.1 as required) and the fontconfig rpm is 2.2.1-10 (2.2.2 required).

Seeing how these are quite close and as you mentioned the parallel /opt configure method, I went ahead and ./configure, make and make installed. Gimp 2.2.6 did compile without error messages but didn't function properly. After opening a few jpgs and cropping them, it saved the first immediately without opening the jpg options dialog, and on the second and subsequent attempts to save jpgs it hung (though it did respond to the close button as opposed to requiring a killall -HUP gimp).

So, two main questions: 1) is there a way to compile atk and fontconfig in parallel to the already installed rpms (as the gimp 2.2.6 was) and then pass a configure option or edit a script to have gimp use the new versions?; and, 2) when it became necessary to uninstall the faulty 2.2.6 I found that make clean from the source directory tried to erase files from /usr/local/ rather than /opt where gimp 2.2.6 was actually installed -- is there a way to pass an option to make clean to tell it to remove the gimp from /opt? Are /opt and /home/.gimp-2.2 the only directories (besides the untarred source directory) that need to be manually deleted?

Thanks,

Barton

Owen Cook
2005-04-19 09:25:33 UTC (about 19 years ago)

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Barton Bosch wrote:

I've been meaning to take another shot at learning how to compile the gimp from source for a while now. I'm running FC2 which has rpms available for almost all of the requirements and optional packages. Unfortunately the atk rpm is version 1.6.0 (www.gimp.org/source lists 1.6.1 as required) and the fontconfig rpm is 2.2.1-10 (2.2.2 required).

Seeing how these are quite close and as you mentioned the parallel /opt configure method, I went ahead and ./configure, make and make installed. Gimp 2.2.6 did compile without error messages but didn't function properly. After opening a few jpgs and cropping them, it saved the first immediately without opening the jpg options dialog, and on the second and subsequent attempts to save jpgs it hung (though it did respond to the close button as opposed to requiring a killall -HUP gimp).

So, two main questions: 1) is there a way to compile atk and fontconfig in parallel to the already installed rpms (as the gimp 2.2.6 was) and then pass a configure option or edit a script to have gimp use the new versions?; and, 2) when it became necessary to uninstall the faulty 2.2.6 I found that make clean from the source directory tried to erase files from /usr/local/ rather than /opt where gimp 2.2.6 was actually installed -- is there a way to pass an option to make clean to tell it to remove the gimp from /opt? Are /opt and /home/.gimp-2.2 the only directories (besides the untarred source directory) that need to be manually deleted?

If there is nothing else in /opt then you can do an rm -rf /opt/*

If there is someelse there the have a look in bin/ etc/ include/ lib/ man/ share/

and just rm -rf anything prefixed gimp-2.2

There will/should also be files called gimp-2.0.pc gimpui-2.0.pc and gimpthumb-2.0.pc You better find out where these are as if you had two Gimps installed you might be in big trouble as where your gimp-2.2.6 was looking for things.

Does your other Gimp work OK?

Have a look there and see if you can psyche out the gimp-2.0.pc matter and search paths. Look back in these archives I think for where you should set the LD_LIBRARY PATH

What I think might be happening is that your are using the /opt/bin/gimp binary but loading the libraries from your other installation

Owen

David Marrs
2005-04-19 16:48:02 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Steve Stavropoulos wrote:

On 4/17/05, Asif Lodhi wrote:

I have managed to get Fedora Core 3 installed on my computer through nightly downloads in around 26 days. But the Gimp version is 2.04.

Redhat updated gimp to 2.2 shortly after the release of fedora 3. Your best chance to get this working is to run yum update gimp* This will download and install gimp 2.2.4 and any other software needed. (I _strongly_ suggest to also do a yum update gtk2*) _______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

I recommend you download the alternative yum.conf file from fedorafaq.org to get access to some of the faster and better maintained repositories, if you haven't already. If these fail to include an rpm you want, there are a number of rpm databases that can be searched for binaries in other repositories (rpmfind.net, nrpms.net and rpm.pbone.net are a few). Best of all though, do a google search and you'll almost certainly find your package if it exists. In order to do an effective search you'll need to understand the nomencalture of an rpm, but just looking at the names of the files should show you what you need to search for (ie. gimp-2.2.6 .fc3 .rpm).

If you can't find an rpm for a popular app like the GIMP, wait around for a couple of days. One's bound to be put out eventually.

Anyway, I found an rpm here: http://www.nrpms.net/Packages/fedora-3-i386/production/gimp.html

You can try installing it by downloading it to a local directory and typing "rpm -ivh path/to/filename.rpm" at the console. If it throws up dependancy issues and there aren't too many then download those and try again. Try and get them from the standard repos if you can ("yum install dependancy"). Failing that, you can download all the dependancies to your local folder and then add some instructions to the yum.conf file to include it as a repository. You should be able to work out how to do this by studying the contents of that file, it's not very difficult to understand. (Do yourself a favour and back it up before you start editing it, though. Just in case accidentally delete something you didn't want to.) Once you've done this, typing "yum update gimp" should install the rpm and resolve dependancies for you. You should see the local directory be mentioned in the list of searched repositories if you edited the yum.conf file correctly.

Barton Bosch
2005-04-20 00:28:31 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Owen Cook wrote:

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Barton Bosch wrote:

There will/should also be files called gimp-2.0.pc gimpui-2.0.pc and gimpthumb-2.0.pc You better find out where these are as if you had two Gimps installed you might be in big trouble as where your gimp-2.2.6 was looking for things.

Ok, these files were missing when I first checked but may have been part of the gimp-devel rpm which I did not have installed at the time. My gimp 2.0.5 rpm installation seemed to be working fine but just for the hell of it, I uninstalled and then reinstalled both gimp and gimp-devel 2.0.5. Then I found the gimp*.pc files in /usr/lib/pkgconfig.

Have a look there and see if you can psyche out the gimp-2.0.pc matter and search paths. Look back in these archives I think for where you should set the LD_LIBRARY PATH

The /usr/lib/pkgconfig/gimp-2.0.pc file shows:

libdir=/usr/lib ...
gimplibdir=/usr/lib/gimp/2.0
Libs: -L${libdir} -lgimp-2.0 -lgimpmath-2.0 -lgimpcolor-2.0 -lgimpbase-2.0

whereas /opt/lib/pkgconfig/gimp-2.0.pc is the same, but with everything preceded by {prefix} (which is set to /opt), e.g.:

prefix=/opt exec_prefix=${prefix}
libdir=${exec_prefix}/lib

What I think might be happening is that your are using the /opt/bin/gimp binary but loading the libraries from your other installation

So it seems that this is being set up correctly by ./configure. In running through this again to verify everything before this post to the list, I happened to do the initial run of /opt/bin/gimp-2.2 from the root terminal window that I compiled and installed from rather than from a regular user term. I vaguely remember something like gimp 1.2 needing to be run once as root before regular users could run it.

Could the fact that I did not do this last time have caused the malfunctions? Additionally, for this installation I chose not to migrate my user settings and just clicked through all of the user customization options on default. In a brief test I seem to have a functional gimp-2.2.6, or at least have shed the problems that I was experiencing with the prior installation attempt.

When I get more time I'll do a more thorough test run, thanks for the help.

BTW, if I were to experience problems related to an obsolete atk or fontconfig, how would they be likely to manifest themselves?

Barton

Asif Lodhi
2005-04-20 03:13:29 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Hi Barton

I went through the INSTALL file in 2.2.6's tar.gz and there I found the following text!

"Please make sure you don't have any old GTK+-2.x, jpeg, etc. libraries lying around on your system, otherwise configure may fail to find the new ones."

Only after reading all the tech stuff (and the above) there did I post to the list. Gimp2.2.6 install worked and Gimp also seems to be working fine. However, I will now really do some tests (including the scenarios you mentioned) to make sure the Gimp did install OK.

I really want to know how the scenario quoted above can be prevented as downloading all the dependencies is not a problem - the real problem is the potential conflict between the old and the new files.

Best regards

Asif

On 4/20/05, gimp-user-request@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu < gimp-user-request@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu> wrote:

Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 22:48:01 -0700 From: Barton Bosch
To: Owen Cook , Gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Gimp 2.2.6 on Fedora Core 3 I've been meaning to take another shot at learning how to compile the gimp from source for a while now. I'm running FC2 which has rpms available for almost all of the requirements and optional packages. Unfortunately the atk rpm is version 1.6.0 (www.gimp.org/source lists 1.6.1 as required) and the fontconfig rpm
is 2.2.1-10 (2.2.2 required).

..........................................................................................

So, two main questions: 1) is there a way to compile atk and fontconfig in parallel to the already installed rpms (as the gimp 2.2.6 was) and then pass a configure option or edit a script to have gimp use the new versions?; and,