RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Tiff compression options

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Tiff compression options cedric 16 Apr 22:46
  Tiff compression options Eric P 16 Apr 23:57
cedric
2005-04-16 22:46:45 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Tiff compression options

Reading Tiff specs for Scribus Team, we saw that Tiif could have JPEG compression. We add a simple question : is gimp implementation of Tiff jpeg compression lossless ? And in which case use one or another compression options ?

regards. Cedric

Eric P
2005-04-16 23:57:50 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Tiff compression options

jpeg compression is lossy by definition. There is no such thing as lossless jpeg compression.

Personally, I only LZW (which is lossless) for tiff. I cannot think of any reason why you would ever want to use jpeg compression for a tiff over a straight jpeg format. I've had zero experience experience with the Pack Bits and Deflate options.

On a side note, at work we have high spec color laser jet printer that happens to have scanning capabilities as well. For some reason, the tiffs it creates are tiff w/jpeg compression with NO option to change it to other any other compression type or even muck with the jpeg compression setting. I noticed that the Gimp doesn't give any option either for the jpeg compression setting when saving as a tiff.

On Sat, 2005-04-16 at 22:46 +0200, cedric wrote:

Reading Tiff specs for Scribus Team, we saw that Tiif could have JPEG compression. We add a simple question : is gimp implementation of Tiff jpeg compression lossless ? And in which case use one or another compression options ?

regards. Cedric