RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

I like it but I will have to go back

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

I like it but I will have to go back Misslo777 10 Dec 13:22
  I like it but I will have to go back rich404 11 Dec 11:25
   I like it but I will have to go back Misslo777 13 Dec 02:07
    I like it but I will have to go back Misslo777 17 Dec 15:15
2018-12-10 13:22:18 UTC (over 5 years ago)
postings

Hi - i am a new user. I use GIMP for my digital art and graphic designs. I had been using version 2.8 for the last 6 months or so, I did not know about the newer version, so I downloaded 2.10.8 2 days ago. I like the interface, and i have tried some of the new features, BUT I will have to downgrade back to version 2.8 because i can't take the slowness. it takes minutes to select by color, or delete backgrounds. i a constantly geting the (No Response) message from the simplest tasks,

One of the comments that I read said that 2.10 is only slow with large graphic files, which most of my files are I do not have a powerful PC, and I am not Planning on buying a new one soon.I have a Dell 2 in1 with an Intel Celeron N3350 @1.10 GHz processor and 4 Gigs of RAM, running Windows 10. Can I install the 32 bit version? I think I read that the software auto-detects which version to use. I knw that the 64 bit version of Inkscape crashes on my machine, but the 32 bit works fine.

2.8 worked ok, It locked up when I was rescaling, or indexing super large images but it did not lock up when performing the simple tasks, like opening a file or selecting parts of the image.

I a hoping that there is a fix for this problem now, or that as a member of this forum, I will be notified when the problem is fixed.

Thanls Misslo Lovestocreate
@Misslo777

rich404
2018-12-11 11:25:31 UTC (over 5 years ago)

Hi - i am a new user. I use GIMP for my digital art and graphic designs. I had been using version 2.8 for the last 6 months or so, I did not know about the newer version, so I downloaded 2.10.8 2 days ago. I like the interface, and i have tried some of the new features, BUT I will have to downgrade back to version 2.8 because i can't take the slowness. it takes minutes to select by color, or delete backgrounds. i a constantly geting the (No Response) message from the simplest tasks,

Are you short of disk space? That can make a big difference when editing large images.

Can I install the 32 bit version? I think I read that the software auto-detects which version to use. I knw that the 64 bit version of Inkscape crashes on my machine, but the 32 bit works fine.

You can force the Gimp installer to use the 32 bit files it contains. Use the /32 switch

For others, how to determine if your Windows is 32/64 bit.

64 bit has both "Program Files" **and** "Program Files (x86)" folders. 32bit only "Program Files".

Whatever you choose, I recommend un-installing Gimp first using the Windows uninstall menu. Then check to see if anything remains in C:\Program Files\GIMP 2 If not empty, delete it.

Which version to use? There are some Windows installations that have issues with current 32 bit Gimp. I would try the previous version 2.10.6 - this might change for the better, in the future.

https://download.gimp.org/mirror/pub/gimp/v2.10/windows/gimp-2.10.6-setup-1.exe

Go to where you downloaded the file, open a terminal and run the installer

gimp-2.10.6-setup-1.exe /32

The same will apply if you want to install Gimp 2.8 that way - the last version

https://download.gimp.org/mirror/pub/gimp/v2.8/windows/gimp-2.8.22-setup.exe

A screenshot attached with some hints.

2018-12-13 02:07:30 UTC (over 5 years ago)
postings

Are you short of disk space? That can make a big difference when editing large images.
You can force the Gimp installer to use the 32 bit files it contains. Use the /32 switch

For others, how to determine if your Windows is 32/64 bit.

64 bit has both "Program Files" **and** "Program Files (x86)" folders. 32bit only "Program Files".

Whatever you choose, I recommend un-installing Gimp first using the Windows uninstall menu. Then check to see if anything remains in C:\Program Files\GIMP 2 If not empty, delete it.

Which version to use? There are some Windows installations that have issues with current 32 bit Gimp. I would try the previous versio. n 2.10.6 - this might change for the better, in the future.

https://download.gimp.org/mirror/pub/gimp/v2.10/windows/gimp-2.10.6-setup-1.exe

Go to where you downloaded the file, open a terminal and run the installer

gimp-2.10.6-setup-1.exe /32

The same will apply if you want to install Gimp 2.8 that way - the last version

https://download.gimp.org/mirror/pub/gimp/v2.8/windows/gimp-2.8.22-setup.exe

A screenshot attached with some hints.

Thank you for your quick response! I have installed 2.10.6 with the /32 switch. Hopefully, it will not lock up my computer.

Misslo777

2018-12-17 15:15:43 UTC (over 5 years ago)
postings

Thank you for your quick response! I have installed 2.10.6 with the /32 switch. Hopefully, it will not lock up my computer.

Misslo777

UPDATE: Just wanted to let you know that switching to the 32 bit version of 2.10.6 worked! indexing the PNG still takes forever, and hangs the machine (like before) but it does not lock it completely, and I am able to create huge indexed pngs for surface design patterns. Happy Holidays1

Miss Lo @Misslo777