RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Export and scale down at the same time

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Export and scale down at the same time Johnny Rosenberg via gimp-user-list 17 Nov 20:20
  Export and scale down at the same time Pat David via gimp-user-list 17 Nov 20:36
Johnny Rosenberg via gimp-user-list
2018-11-17 20:20:36 UTC (over 5 years ago)

Hi again!

I'm currently working with a huge image, 19262×12825, and now when I finished it I want to export it as jpeg. In the export dialogue, I can easily change the quality, and since the image is maybe 95 % white I can select a very low quality number and still keep a decent quality, but the file size is still at least 5 MiB.
The high resolution is not necessary at all. The reason for having it in the first place is that I scanned an A2 document with an A4 scanner four times and put it together in GIMP and I used the scanner's highest resolution; I figured it's best to have the best possible resolution to work with and then scale it down as the last step of the process. Anyway, to save it, scaled down to, I don't know, maybe 20 % or even 10, I first need to scale down the whole file, then export and then undo the down-scaling (or quit without saving), or is there an easier way? I wish there was a scale option in the jpeg quality dialogue or in a separate dialogue, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Am I missing something?

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

Pat David via gimp-user-list
2018-11-17 20:36:07 UTC (over 5 years ago)

I agree that a scale option in the export menu would certainly be handy, but it comes with its own set of problems - like which type of scaling algorithm to use? The different algorithms may produce different results depending on what is being exported - so I _think_ it may be smarter to try the one that makes sense for your particular image, then export and undo/not-save.

Not sure if this has been requested as a feature or not, but if not it might be worth asking.

On Sat, Nov 17, 2018 at 2:21 PM Johnny Rosenberg via gimp-user-list < gimp-user-list@gnome.org> wrote:

Hi again!

I'm currently working with a huge image, 19262×12825, and now when I finished it I want to export it as jpeg. In the export dialogue, I can easily change the quality, and since the image is maybe 95 % white I can select a very low quality number and still keep a decent quality, but the file size is still at least 5 MiB.
The high resolution is not necessary at all. The reason for having it in the first place is that I scanned an A2 document with an A4 scanner four times and put it together in GIMP and I used the scanner's highest resolution; I figured it's best to have the best possible resolution to work with and then scale it down as the last step of the process. Anyway, to save it, scaled down to, I don't know, maybe 20 % or even 10, I first need to scale down the whole file, then export and then undo the down-scaling (or quit without saving), or is there an easier way? I wish there was a scale option in the jpeg quality dialogue or in a separate dialogue, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Am I missing something?

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

https://patdavid.net
GPG: 66D1 7CA6 8088 4874 946D  18BD 67C7 6219 89E9 57AC