RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Bend text (currently image) and symmetrical cutout

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Bend text (currently image) and symmetrical cutout Johnny1995 16 Oct 07:13
  Bend text (currently image) and symmetrical cutout rich404 16 Oct 14:47
2018-10-16 07:13:59 UTC (over 5 years ago)
postings

Hi everyone!

New to Gimp and liking it thus far but I have two problems I would like some tips in solving.

In the attached picture there is some text at the bottom I would like to bend slightly to follow the curvature at the bottom of motive. I tried doing a path and writing the text (Ii-Generationssittning) in Gimp, but it came out really pixely. Thus, I downloaded the same text from a graphics generator to avoid this. Now I am having a hard time getting this to bend along the edge.

Also, as you may notice, there is currently no background. I would to make a symmetrical shape of what I have attached, with the image and text in the center. I guess the end result would look something like a keyhole with the image in the center. I have tried the ellipse tool with path to selection, but that only allowed me to free form the edges, not make it symmetrical.

Very grateful for any tips in solving this.

Regards,

Johnny

rich404
2018-10-16 14:47:54 UTC (over 5 years ago)

Hi everyone!

New to Gimp and liking it thus far but I have two problems I would like some tips in solving.

In the attached picture there is some text at the bottom I would like to bend slightly to follow the curvature at the bottom of motive. I tried doing a path and writing the text (Ii-Generationssittning) in Gimp, but it came out really pixely. Thus, I downloaded the same text from a graphics generator to avoid this. Now I am having a hard time getting this to bend along the edge.

Also, as you may notice, there is currently no background. I would to make a symmetrical shape of what I have attached, with the image and text in the center. I guess the end result would look something like a keyhole with the image in the center. I have tried the ellipse tool with path to selection, but that only allowed me to free form the edges, not make it symmetrical.

Very grateful for any tips in solving this.

The second problem, the keyhole should come first. Not an ideal image for enclosing in a keyhole shape. In particular the little ghost on the right gets in the way of a narrow-ish keyhole shape. You could consider leaving that on the outside, as a sort of pop-out.

Use the Gimp grid and guides as much as possible. https://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/gimp-concepts-image-guides.html

The first problem bending the text: The old curve-bend tool is still there but does not work if there is transparency. https://docs.gimp.org/en/plug-in-curve-bend.html It also introduces distortion.

quote ...I tried doing a path and writing the text in Gimp, but it came out really pixely...unquote

That should not happen. You should try again. Then it depends on the amount of curvature you intend. A slight curve ok, more than that and you need to space the characters out in the text tool before applying text-along path.

Not easy for a newcomer to Gimp. This a video - 7 mins - on one way. Not a tutorial more a few tips. Biased towards beginner status. The keyhole shape in particular I would make as a path but that involves a bit of practise.

https://youtu.be/AstmcjA68so