RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Copy selection to a new layer

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Copy selection to a new layer Johnny Rosenberg via gimp-user-list 15 Oct 11:13
  Copy selection to a new layer Ofnuts 15 Oct 14:02
   Copy selection to a new layer Johnny Rosenberg via gimp-user-list 15 Oct 22:31
Johnny Rosenberg via gimp-user-list
2018-10-15 11:13:53 UTC (over 5 years ago)

Hi!
I'm using Gimp 2.10.6 and I wonder how I'm supposed to copy a small selection of a particular layer in a huge image to a new layer or perhaps an existing layer. When I hit Ctrl+c, the whole layer is copied to the clipboard, not just what's in the current selection. I do my selection with the rectangle selection tool (shortcut R).

How is this supposed to be done? I searched the web but I didn't find anything that actually worked.

Ofnuts
2018-10-15 14:02:15 UTC (over 5 years ago)

On 10/15/18 13:13, Johnny Rosenberg via gimp-user-list wrote:

Hi!
I'm using Gimp 2.10.6 and I wonder how I'm supposed to copy a small selection of a particular layer in a huge image to a new layer or perhaps an existing layer. When I hit Ctrl+c, the whole layer is copied to the clipboard, not just what's in the current selection. I do my selection with the rectangle selection tool (shortcut R).

How is this supposed to be done? I searched the web but I didn't find anything that actually worked.

It is done like before... However, in 2.10, you don't have a true selection until you have "commited" it in the tool, so you cannot just use "drag-rectangle, Ctr-C" as you did in 2.8. You have to do "drag-rectangle,[enter],Ctr-C" or "drag-rectangle,double-click inside rectangle, Ctrl-C".

Johnny Rosenberg via gimp-user-list
2018-10-15 22:31:02 UTC (over 5 years ago)

Den mån 15 okt. 2018 kl 16:02 skrev Ofnuts :

On 10/15/18 13:13, Johnny Rosenberg via gimp-user-list wrote:

Hi!

It is done like before... However, in 2.10, you don't have a true selection until you have "commited" it in the tool, so you cannot just use "drag-rectangle, Ctr-C" as you did in 2.8. You have to do "drag-rectangle,[enter],Ctr-C" or "drag-rectangle,double-click inside rectangle, Ctrl-C".

Aah, ok. I didn't try that. Thank you. Just for curiosity, and to whomever has the answer, why was that change made?

Best regards

Johnny Rosenberg

> gimp-user-list mailing list
> List address:    gimp-user-list@gnome.org
> List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
> List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
>