RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

crop without white space

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

crop without white space claven123 17 Sep 17:14
  crop without white space rich404 17 Sep 17:19
   crop without white space claven123 17 Sep 17:32
    crop without white space rich404 17 Sep 18:03
     crop without white space claven123 17 Sep 18:32
      crop without white space rich404 17 Sep 19:05
       crop without white space claven123 17 Sep 19:25
        crop without white space rich404 17 Sep 20:15
         crop without white space claven123 18 Sep 15:56
2018-09-17 17:14:45 UTC (over 5 years ago)
postings

crop without white space

I used the crop tool and cropped the image. I then exported to .jpg however the white space all around the image is still there. I then used and add alpha channel, cropped and inverted, deleted the white space. I now have the black/gray checkers, I then exported to .jpg and still have all the white space. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I'm using 2.10.6 on ubuntu.

D

rich404
2018-09-17 17:19:00 UTC (over 5 years ago)

crop without white space

I used the crop tool and cropped the image. I then exported to .jpg however the white space all around the image is still there. I then used and add alpha channel, cropped and inverted, deleted the white space. I now have the black/gray checkers, I then exported to .jpg and still have all the white space. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I'm using 2.10.6 on ubuntu.

D

Jpeg does not support transparency. You need to export using .png format

2018-09-17 17:32:43 UTC (over 5 years ago)
postings

crop without white space

Jpeg does not support transparency. You need to export using .png format

Ok, so I used the .png and I still get the white space. I crop, then export to .png and when I place it in word, I get an image with cropped image and white space (which equals the original size image).

d

rich404
2018-09-17 18:03:59 UTC (over 5 years ago)

crop without white space

Ok, so I used the .png and I still get the white space. I crop, then export to .png and when I place it in word, I get an image with cropped image and white space (which equals the original size image).

d

I do not think you are actually cropping anything.

This is Gimp 2.10.6 in (k)ubuntu. I use a light theme but you should be able to follow these screenshots

1. Use the the crop tool.

2. Draw on the canvas the area you want to crop. When it is marked hit the enter key

3. That will leave the cropped image. Export that as a jpeg or png. Give it a new name to differentiate from the original if required.

2018-09-17 18:32:50 UTC (over 5 years ago)
postings

crop without white space

I do not think you are actually cropping anything.

This is Gimp 2.10.6 in (k)ubuntu. I use a light theme but you should be able to follow these screenshots

1. Use the the crop tool.

2. Draw on the canvas the area you want to crop. When it is marked hit the enter key

3. That will leave the cropped image. Export that as a jpeg or png. Give it a new name to differentiate from the original if required.

That is exactly what I am doing. I'm not sure what is in error.

Here is the output imported to odt file.

D

rich404
2018-09-17 19:05:39 UTC (over 5 years ago)

crop without white space

That is exactly what I am doing. I'm not sure what is in error.

Here is the output imported to odt file.

D

I still say you are not cropping, maybe confusing the rectangular selection with the crop tool and cutting, hence all the transparency.

This from your LO document, lots of transparency. screenshot 1

However, since you have an image with all that transparency and crop does not seem to work for you.

Use Image -> Zealous Crop and your image will be trimmed to size.

In your document, together screenshot 2

2018-09-17 19:25:34 UTC (over 5 years ago)
postings

crop without white space

I still say you are not cropping, maybe confusing the rectangular selection with the crop tool and cutting, hence all the transparency.

This from your LO document, lots of transparency. screenshot 1

However, since you have an image with all that transparency and crop does not seem to work for you.

Use Image -> Zealous Crop and your image will be trimmed to size.

In your document, together screenshot 2

I tried the Zealous crop, still same result.

I've included screen shots of the procedure.

d

rich404
2018-09-17 20:15:34 UTC (over 5 years ago)

crop without white space

I tried the Zealous crop, still same result.

I've included screen shots of the procedure.

d

OK, Untick 'Current layer only' in the crop tool options. That option is really meant for when there are multiple layers and the layer is cropped but the canvas remains the same size.

2018-09-18 15:56:41 UTC (over 5 years ago)
postings

crop without white space

OK, Untick 'Current layer only' in the crop tool options. That option is really meant for when there are multiple layers and the layer is cropped but the canvas remains the same size.

Thanks, That fixed it. I have no idea how that got checked. I've used the crop tool quite a lot and never have had this issue before!!

Thanks,

D