RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

No text input in file open dialog

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

No text input in file open dialog Jürgen Weber 24 Aug 09:07
  d21f1cc4f413b0d87fbc1f33ba0... 29 Aug 09:07
   No text input in file open dialog Jürgen Weber 29 Aug 09:06
  No text input in file open dialog Akkana Peck 25 Aug 15:27
  No text input in file open dialog Liam R E Quin 25 Aug 20:55
  No text input in file open dialog Richard via gimp-user-list 29 Aug 19:44
  No text input in file open dialog thcjunkee 28 Aug 17:25
   No text input in file open dialog Michael Schumacher 28 Aug 17:34
    No text input in file open dialog thcjunkee 28 Aug 18:13
Jürgen Weber
2018-08-24 09:07:21 UTC (over 5 years ago)

Working in Windows 10, I often select a file in Explorer, copy the file's path to the clipboard and paste it into the file open dialog of an application. I find it easier to navigate in Explorer than in file open dialogs.

In the Gimp file open dialog, there is not text input, so I cannot paste a file name. Why is this so?

Yes, there is drag'n'drop, but often I prefer text input. And you have to drop files onto the tool bar, dropping on the image preview bar on the top does not work, which I'd find more intuitive.

Thanks, Juergen

Akkana Peck
2018-08-25 15:27:48 UTC (over 5 years ago)

Jrgen Weber writes:

Working in Windows 10, I often select a file in Explorer, copy the file's path to the clipboard and paste it into the file open dialog of an application. I find it easier to navigate in Explorer than in file open dialogs.

In the Gimp file open dialog, there is not text input, so I cannot paste a file name. Why is this so?

At least on Linux, if you type '/', a text input appears at the top to let you type a file path, and you can paste into that. It's possible that the key you have to type on Windows is different, so if / doesn't work, try some other strings, maybe c: ?

For shell users, another option is to go to a terminal and run gimp /path/to/file. It will open the file in your currently running GIMP rather than starting another GIMP. That's how I open 90% of images in GIMP: I can use shell autocomplete, I have control over which directory it starts in, and it's much faster and more effective than the current GTK File Open dialog.

...Akkana

Liam R E Quin
2018-08-25 20:55:26 UTC (over 5 years ago)

On Fri, 2018-08-24 at 11:07 +0200, Jürgen Weber wrote:

In the Gimp file open dialog, there is not text input,

You may find control-L gives you a text field.

Liam (slave ankh)

Liam Quin - web slave for https://www.fromoldbooks.org/
Jürgen Weber
2018-08-29 09:06:39 UTC (over 5 years ago)

Hi Liam, thanks for the hint. Looks like in 2.10.6 Windows the file open dialog is different, no buttons and no ctrl-L

https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-file-open.html

Jürgen

Liam R. E. Quin schrieb am Sa., 25. Aug. 2018, 20:19:

On Fri, 2018-08-24 at 11:07 +0200, Jürgen Weber wrote:

In the Gimp file open dialog, there is not text input,

You may find control-L gives you a text field.

Liam (slave ankh)

-- Liam Quin - web slave for https://www.fromoldbooks.org/

Information architecture consultant

Richard via gimp-user-list
2018-08-29 19:44:01 UTC (over 5 years ago)

Instead of using drag-and-drop from Windows Explorer, consider right-clicking and checking out your context menu. There's usually a command called "Open With..." that allows you to select a program for it (internally, it mostly just executes a shell command of appname /path/to/file ). Depending on the file and your access level, you may also be able to register the desired application as the default handler for that filetype so you can simply double-click the file in the future.

-- Stratadrake strata_ranger@hotmail.com
--------------------
Numbers may not lie, but neither do they tell the whole truth.

Sent: Friday, August 24, 2018 2:07 AM
To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: [Gimp-user] No text input in file open dialog

Working in Windows 10, I often select a file in Explorer, copy the file's
path to the clipboard and paste it into the file open dialog of an
application. I find it easier to navigate in Explorer than in file open
dialogs.

In the Gimp file open dialog, there is not text input, so I cannot paste a
file name. Why is this so?

Yes, there is drag'n'drop, but often I prefer text input. And you have to
drop files onto the tool bar, dropping on the image preview bar on the top
does not work, which I'd find more intuitive.

Thanks, Juergen
2019-08-28 17:25:00 UTC (over 4 years ago)
postings

For what it's worth, I, too, am frustrated by the lack of a clipboard paste functionality in the Windows implementation of GIMP. I use Total Commander for all my file and project management needs, so having the ability to copy-paste filenames from TC into all my other working applications is at the core of my workflow. Moving my hands to the mouse to perform a drag-and-drop slows me down.

I wish GIMP's File Open dialog supported this (what I consider to be) basic functionality. I hope somebody also frustrated and with GIMP development familiarity is listening.

thcjunkee (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
Michael Schumacher
2019-08-28 17:34:27 UTC (over 4 years ago)

On 28 August 2019 19:25:00 CEST, thcjunkee wrote:

For what it's worth, I, too, am frustrated by the lack of a clipboard paste functionality in the Windows implementation of GIMP.

A file name input can be enabled - Ctrl+l is the shortcut for this in GTK, if I'm not mistaken. Just pasting might also work.

2019-08-28 18:13:13 UTC (over 4 years ago)
postings

A file name input can be enabled - Ctrl+l is the shortcut for this in GTK, if I'm not mistaken. Just pasting might also work.

Neither of those options work in my GIMP 2.10.6 under Windows 7 x64.

I have discovered, however:

If I first click on a drive resource in the 'Places' panel (e.g. click on c:\), the second line of the Open dialog provides a "'Location" input box and I can paste into there and it works as intended. There is a Pencil button in the upper-left corner which toggles the visibility of the Location input box, but it's only available while a drive resource is selected. This seems not to be the default for the dialog... it starts with 'Recently Used', which does not have a Location input box. If I keep GIMP open, the last setting of the Location box persists. So not ideal but better than nothing.

thcjunkee (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)