RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Sinc (Lanczos3) Option

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Sinc (Lanczos3) Option Lisa D. via gimp-user-list 09 Aug 00:14
  Sinc (Lanczos3) Option Liam R E Quin 09 Aug 01:30
Lisa D. via gimp-user-list
2018-08-09 00:14:39 UTC (over 5 years ago)

Sinc (Lanczos3) Option

Thanks, everyone, for your help with this issue. I’m working with a jpeg that is 450x568 pixels @ 72 ppi/4.7x5.9”. I would like the dimensions to be 2.5” x 5.9”. When I resize it without maintaining the aspect ratio (so I can make it longer than that would allow), you can tell that the image has been stretched and it doesn’t look right (which is what I meant by “distorted.”)

Maybe it’s not possible to make an image longer in this way without giving it that fun house mirror look, but I could have sworn I read online (maybe from the same guy who recommended gimp 2.4?) that it’s better to make a smaller image larger than to try to make a larger image smaller.

That seemed counterintuitive to me as, like Liam mentioned, I’d be asking the image to invent detail that isn’t already present. Was my hunch correct? I apologize if these are kindergarten questions. As you may have guessed, I am not of the IT or graphic design world and am just stumbling around with the basics at the moment. Just got a book called Beginning GIMP that I’ll be reading soon.

I do not have Linux.

There is another version of this image I can purchase that is larger (1200x1514 px @ 300 ppi). Should I just buy this and shrink it? It's a bit spendy, but maybe that would be a lot easier? Or should I try to get GIMP 2.8 and see if by some miracle I can make my smaller image bigger without sacrificing quality?

Thanks again!

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 5:00 AM, wrote:

Send gimp-user-list mailing list submissions to gimp-user-list@gnome.org

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to gimp-user-list-request@gnome.org

You can reach the person managing the list at gimp-user-list-owner@gnome.org

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than "Re: Contents of gimp-user-list digest..."

Today's Topics:

1. Re: MessengerPro for LinuxMint v19.0 Mate... (Alexandre Prokoudine)
2. Sinc (Lanczos3) Option (Lisa D.) 3. Re: Sinc (Lanczos3) Option] (Ken Moffat) 4. Re: Sinc (Lanczos3) Option (Liam R E Quin) 5. Re: Sinc (Lanczos3) Option (Jernej Simon?i?) 6. Re: Sinc (Lanczos3) Option (Liam R E Quin)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1 Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2018 15:57:21 +0300 From: Alexandre Prokoudine
To: GIMP-user-list
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] MessengerPro for LinuxMint v19.0 Mate... Message-ID:

Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"

??, 5 ???. 2018 ?., 7:39 zed:

Using LinuxMint v19 Mate

Could not find a version of Gemini for Ubuntu v18.04 Bionic Beaver, so I tried to install version for v16.04 Xenial (MessengerPro_273.3.4227-xenial_amd64.deb) but that requires libdouble-conversion1v5. Linux Mint has libdouble-conversion1v2.01-4ubuntu.

Will there be a version issued for Ubuntu 18.04, please? If not, am I safe to download and install libdouble-conversionv1v5 without it overwriting the present version

Wrong list, mate :) This is GNU Inage Manipulation Program, not much messaging happening in GIMP.

Alex

------------------------------

Message: 2 Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2018 11:13:01 -0700 From: "Lisa D."
To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: [Gimp-user] Sinc (Lanczos3) Option Message-ID:

Hi! I would like to stretch/resize an image without distorting it. I downloaded GIMP 2.10.4 but was not able to do this with this version of GIMP. After a few google searches, I found an article stating that you need GIMP 2.4 to do this because you need to use the ?Sinc (Lanczos3)? option under Quality>Interpolation in the Scale Image dialog. I checked the version I have and, lo and behold, 2.10.4 does not seem to have this option.

So, I would love to get my hands on GIMP 2.4, but it seems to only be available now via third party sites that seem wholly unaffiliated with gimp and, to be honest, look a little hinky to me. Does anyone know of a site like this that is, in fact, safe and trustworthy? Or another way to get 2.4? It doesn't seem to be available on gimp.org. Please let me know if you
have a moment and I'll try to pass it forward when get more gimp skills under my belt. I have Windows 10, in case it helps to know that.

Thanks in advance!

Message: 3 Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2018 22:44:36 +0100 From: Ken Moffat
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Sinc (Lanczos3) Option] Message-ID:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8

Whoops, managed to reply to sender instead of replying to the list.

----- Forwarded message from Ken Moffat -----

Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2018 20:20:51 +0100 From: Ken Moffat
To: "Lisa D."
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Sinc (Lanczos3) Option User-Agent: Mutt/1.10.1 (2018-07-13) Message-ID:

On Sun, Aug 05, 2018 at 11:13:01AM -0700, Lisa D. via gimp-user-list wrote:

Hi! I would like to stretch/resize an image without distorting it. I downloaded GIMP 2.10.4 but was not able to do this with this version of GIMP. After a few google searches, I found an article stating that you

need

GIMP 2.4 to do this because you need to use the ?Sinc (Lanczos3)? option under Quality>Interpolation in the Scale Image dialog. I checked the version I have and, lo and behold, 2.10.4 does not seem to have this option.

So, I would love to get my hands on GIMP 2.4, but it seems to only be available now via third party sites that seem wholly unaffiliated with

gimp

and, to be honest, look a little hinky to me. Does anyone know of a site like this that is, in fact, safe and trustworthy? Or another way to get 2.4? It doesn't seem to be available on gimp.org. Please let me know if

you

have a moment and I'll try to pass it forward when get more gimp skills under my belt. I have Windows 10, in case it helps to know that.

Thanks in advance!

I suspect you have been misled by an old article : 2.4 is now perhaps best described as 'antique'. I think that this option was in 2.8, but was dropped in 2.10 : since nobody likes losing quality, I guess that the developers think the available options are good enough. A lot of the internal details changed in 2.10 (more use of gegl).

But your terminology disturbs me - if you scale up an image, it should not be distorted (image | scale image) unless the original image is a jpeg and artifacts appear. But stretching an image implies distorting it to make things relatively wider (or higher).

Maybe I've misunderstood, but I suggest you take an example image in 2.10.4, scale it to your desired size with the various available options : do this several times, starting from the original each time, use a different option and save to a separate xcf file (so -A, -B or whatever : I don't have gimp on the machine I'm replying from), then export a png from each and compare them.

If there is indeed a problem, then consider trying the latest 2.8 version *probably 2.8.22) where that option should be available - use that, again create a png, compare to the results from 2.10.4. If that turns out to be equally bad, it's probably either artifacts in the original, or excessive scaling. But if 2.8 is better then please raise a bug.

Many things changed in 2.9 and a few have changed in 2.10. Sometimes we need to modify our process to get the results we want.

?en --
Entropy not found, thump keyboard to continue

----- End forwarded message -----

-- Entropy not found, thump keyboard to continue

Message: 4 Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2018 01:59:46 -0400 From: Liam R E Quin
To: "Lisa D." , gimp-user-list@gnome.org Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Sinc (Lanczos3) Option Message-ID:

On Sun, 2018-08-05 at 11:13 -0700, Lisa D. via gimp-user-list wrote:

Hi! I would like to stretch/resize an image without distorting it.

This depends on exactly what you mean by distorting it. By default GIMP will retain the aspect ratio of the original ratio, but maybe that's not what you meant?

I found an article stating that
you need
GIMP 2.4 to do this because you need to use the ?Sinc (Lanczos3)? option

GIMP 2.10 has LoHalo and NoHalo instead. For enlarging an image, though, the third-party Resynthesizer plugin might do a better job.

Does anyone know of a
site
like this that is, in fact, safe and trustworthy? Or another way to get
2.4?

For which Linux distribution and which CPU architecture?

I have Windows 10, in case it helps to know that.

Oh. No, that doesn't help.

It might be that archive.org has saved a copy, but i doubt it.

In any case, it's unlikely that gimp 2.4 with lanczos scaling will do better than gimp 2.10 in practice. I'd need to see what you're doing inmuch more detail to be sure or to be able to suggest a better approach.

Remember that when yuo try to make an image larger you are asking the computer to invent detail that isn't already present.

Liam (slave ankh)

Message: 5 Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2018 09:08:12 +0200 From: Jernej Simon?i?
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Sinc (Lanczos3) Option Message-ID:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-7"

On Mon, 06 Aug 2018 01:59:46 -0400, Liam R E Quin wrote:

GIMP 2.4 for Windows is available here:

-- < Jernej Simon?i? ><><><><>< http:??eternallybored.org? >

Message: 6 Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2018 04:20:39 -0400 From: Liam R E Quin
To: Jernej Simon?i? ,
gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Sinc (Lanczos3) Option Message-ID:

On Mon, 2018-08-06 at 09:08 +0200, Jernej Simon?i? wrote:

On Mon, 06 Aug 2018 01:59:46 -0400, Liam R E Quin wrote:

GIMP 2.4 for Windows is available here:

i'd be interested to know what sort of image does better with that than with 2.10 and why.

Liam (slave ankh)

-- Liam Quin - web slave for https://www.fromoldbooks.org/

Click here to have the slave beaten.

Subject: Digest Footer

_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
gimp-user-list@gnome.org
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list

End of gimp-user-list Digest, Vol 83, Issue 7 *********************************************

Liam R E Quin
2018-08-09 01:30:39 UTC (over 5 years ago)

Sinc (Lanczos3) Option

On Wed, 2018-08-08 at 17:14 -0700, Lisa D. via gimp-user-list wrote:

Thanks, everyone, for your help with this issue. I’m working with a jpeg
that is 450x568 pixels @ 72 ppi/4.7x5.9”. I would like the dimensions to be
2.5” x 5.9”.

Your primary choices are to make it wider and then scale it down, or to crop. Making it wider likely means duplicating some parts of the image on the sides.

Maybe it’s not possible to make an image longer in this way without giving it that fun house mirror look

Correct.

The resynthesize plugin (and others like it) can sometimes do it, but with such a low resolution image it probably won't do a good job.

, but I could have sworn I read online (maybe from the same guy who recommended gimp 2.4?) that it’s better to make a smaller image larger than to try to make a larger image smaller.

No, it's the other way round.

That seemed counterintuitive to me as, like Liam mentioned, I’d be asking
the image to invent detail that isn’t already present. Was my hunch correct?

Yes.

There is another version of this image I can purchase that is larger (1200x1514 px @ 300 ppi). Should I just buy this and shrink it? It's a bit
spendy, but maybe that would be a lot easier?

It depends on what the picture is, but that's still the same shape. However, you might be able to use the crop tool on it to choose a rectangle that's the right aspect ration (in tool options you can set a fixed aspect ratio for the crop tool, e.g. 4.7:5.9 in your case.

Note, thinking in terms of inches for a screen-resolution image doesn't really work; images are rectangles of coloured dots, and the dots can be drawn any size you like on the screen, although it looks ugly if you can see them with the native eye. Apple's "retina" displays are closer to 300 dots per inch in hardware, but one pixel in the image can be displayed on a cluster of several dots on the display.

Or should I try to get GIMP
2.8 and see if by some miracle I can make my smaller image bigger without sacrificing quality?

It will still distort the image, like a fairground mirror, if you change the aspect ratio. Always. And making an image larger always loses quality, in one way or another. But with a larger image there's more choices. Without seeing the actual image it's hard to know - feel free to send email to me directly if you don't want to share the details in public, and i'll take a look.

Liam (slave ankh)

Liam Quin - full-time slave for https://www.fromoldbooks.org/
with fabulous vintage art and fascinating texts to read.
Click here to have the slave beaten.