RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Sinc (Lanczos3) Option

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Sinc (Lanczos3) Option Lisa D. via gimp-user-list 05 Aug 18:13
  Sinc (Lanczos3) Option Liam R E Quin 06 Aug 05:59
   u1utvugc8m47.uivcxp32bpkj.d... 06 Aug 08:20
    Sinc (Lanczos3) Option Liam R E Quin 06 Aug 08:20
  Sinc (Lanczos3) Option Ofnuts 06 Aug 12:45
   Sinc (Lanczos3) Option Ofnuts 06 Aug 12:53
Lisa D. via gimp-user-list
2018-08-05 18:13:01 UTC (over 5 years ago)

Sinc (Lanczos3) Option

Hi! I would like to stretch/resize an image without distorting it. I downloaded GIMP 2.10.4 but was not able to do this with this version of GIMP. After a few google searches, I found an article stating that you need GIMP 2.4 to do this because you need to use the “Sinc (Lanczos3)” option under Quality>Interpolation in the Scale Image dialog. I checked the version I have and, lo and behold, 2.10.4 does not seem to have this option.

So, I would love to get my hands on GIMP 2.4, but it seems to only be available now via third party sites that seem wholly unaffiliated with gimp and, to be honest, look a little hinky to me. Does anyone know of a site like this that is, in fact, safe and trustworthy? Or another way to get 2.4? It doesn't seem to be available on gimp.org. Please let me know if you have a moment and I'll try to pass it forward when get more gimp skills under my belt. I have Windows 10, in case it helps to know that.

Thanks in advance!

Liam R E Quin
2018-08-06 05:59:46 UTC (over 5 years ago)

Sinc (Lanczos3) Option

On Sun, 2018-08-05 at 11:13 -0700, Lisa D. via gimp-user-list wrote:

Hi! I would like to stretch/resize an image without distorting it.

This depends on exactly what you mean by distorting it. By default GIMP will retain the aspect ratio of the original ratio, but maybe that's not what you meant?

I found an article stating that
you need
GIMP 2.4 to do this because you need to use the “Sinc (Lanczos3)” option

GIMP 2.10 has LoHalo and NoHalo instead. For enlarging an image, though, the third-party Resynthesizer plugin might do a better job.

Does anyone know of a
site
like this that is, in fact, safe and trustworthy? Or another way to get
2.4?

For which Linux distribution and which CPU architecture?

I have Windows 10, in case it helps to know that.

Oh. No, that doesn't help.

It might be that archive.org has saved a copy, but i doubt it.

In any case, it's unlikely that gimp 2.4 with lanczos scaling will do better than gimp 2.10 in practice. I'd need to see what you're doing inmuch more detail to be sure or to be able to suggest a better approach.

Remember that when yuo try to make an image larger you are asking the computer to invent detail that isn't already present.

Liam (slave ankh)

Liam R E Quin
2018-08-06 08:20:39 UTC (over 5 years ago)

Sinc (Lanczos3) Option

On Mon, 2018-08-06 at 09:08 +0200, Jernej Simončič wrote:

On Mon, 06 Aug 2018 01:59:46 -0400, Liam R E Quin wrote:

It might be that archive.org has saved a copy, but i doubt it.

GIMP 2.4 for Windows is available here:

i'd be interested to know what sort of image does better with that than with 2.10 and why.

Liam (slave ankh)

Liam Quin - web slave for https://www.fromoldbooks.org/

Click here to have the slave beaten.
Ofnuts
2018-08-06 12:45:20 UTC (over 5 years ago)

Sinc (Lanczos3) Option

On 08/05/18 20:13, Lisa D. via gimp-user-list wrote:

Hi! I would like to stretch/resize an image without distorting it. I downloaded GIMP 2.10.4 but was not able to do this with this version of GIMP. After a few google searches, I found an article stating that you need GIMP 2.4 to do this because you need to use the “Sinc (Lanczos3)” option under Quality>Interpolation in the Scale Image dialog. I checked the version I have and, lo and behold, 2.10.4 does not seem to have this option.

No need to go as far back as 2.4, Sinc/Lanczos is available in Gimp 2.8.

But like others, I wonder why Sinc/Lanczos is required, other interpolations work just as well, if not better. There is a lot of bad or outdated information out there...

Ofnuts
2018-08-06 12:53:40 UTC (over 5 years ago)

Sinc (Lanczos3) Option

On 08/06/18 14:45, Ofnuts wrote:

On 08/05/18 20:13, Lisa D. via gimp-user-list wrote:

Hi! I would like to stretch/resize an image without distorting it. I downloaded GIMP 2.10.4 but was not able to do this with this version of GIMP. After a few google searches, I found an article stating that you need
GIMP 2.4 to do this because you need to use the “Sinc (Lanczos3)” option under Quality>Interpolation in the Scale Image dialog. I checked the version I have and, lo and behold, 2.10.4 does not seem to have this option.

No need to go as far back as 2.4, Sinc/Lanczos is available in Gimp 2.8.

But like others, I wonder why Sinc/Lanczos is required, other interpolations work just as well, if not better. There is a lot of bad or outdated information out there...

PS: It is possible that you are seeing a recommendnation to use Sinc/lanczo in Gimp 2.4, just because...  that was the best interpolation available in 2.4.