RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp 2.10.2 on Ubuntu

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Gimp 2.10.2 on Ubuntu Jeffery Small via gimp-user-list 05 Jul 04:49
  Gimp 2.10.2 on Ubuntu Pierre Equoy via gimp-user-list 06 Jul 02:13
Jeffery Small via gimp-user-list
2018-07-05 04:49:11 UTC (almost 6 years ago)

Gimp 2.10.2 on Ubuntu

As a test I installed Gimp 2.10.2 under Windows 10 running in a VM on my Xubuntu 18.04 system. I'm seeing some significant slowness in a few operations and particularly in opening the Preferences and other Dialogs -- something being reported by other users on the internet. On the other hand I had one person tell me that they had no problems with their custom build. Before replacing 2.8.22 under Ubuntu I wanted to see what other people's experience has been.

Also, from what I've read, it does not appear that you can install 2.10 parallel to 2.8 successfully and use both. If I'm wrong about that, please let me know.

Any schedule for updating the Ubuntu repository with the current release?

Thanks.

Pierre Equoy via gimp-user-list
2018-07-06 02:13:22 UTC (almost 6 years ago)

Gimp 2.10.2 on Ubuntu

Hi Jeff,

On July 5, 2018 12:49 PM, Jeffery Small via gimp-user-list wrote:

As a test I installed Gimp 2.10.2 under Windows 10 running in a VM on my

Xubuntu 18.04 system. I'm seeing some significant slowness in a few

operations and particularly in opening the Preferences and other Dialogs --

something being reported by other users on the internet. On the other hand

I had one person tell me that they had no problems with their custom

build. Before replacing 2.8.22 under Ubuntu I wanted to see what other

people's experience has been.

I've been using GIMP 2.10 on Ubuntu 18.04 using otto-kesselgulasch's PPA [1] without any noticeable issues.

Also, from what I've read, it does not appear that you can install 2.10

parallel to 2.8 successfully and use both. If I'm wrong about that, please

let me know.

You currently have a few options for this:

- install the official flatpak (see gimp.org for more information) - install the snap version of GIMP (from a terminal, just type `snap install gimp`). It will be installed alongside from GIMP 2.8. There are a few known issues that are being fixed at the moment, though [2]

Any schedule for updating the Ubuntu repository with the current release?

Ubuntu follows Debian schedule, and usually the repositories for a given release (16.04, 18.04) are not updated throughout the lifetime of the release, except for security updates.

As you can see in the packages [3], GIMP 2.10 is available for Cosmic (the next version of Ubuntu, aka 18.10).

Hope this helps!

[1] https://launchpad.net/~otto-kesselgulasch/+archive/ubuntu/gimp [2] https://github.com/snapcrafters/gimp/issues [3] https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=gimp&searchon=names&suite=all§ion=all

Pierre