RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

fail to configure gimp-2.2.0

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

fail to configure gimp-2.2.0 Micheal LeVine 21 Mar 20:33
  fail to configure gimp-2.2.0 Jeff Trefftzs 21 Mar 21:44
   fail to configure gimp-2.2.0 Micheal LeVine 21 Mar 22:00
    fail to configure gimp-2.2.0 Owen Cook 21 Mar 23:01
    fail to configure gimp-2.2.0 Sven Neumann 21 Mar 23:36
  fail to configure gimp-2.2.0 Carol Spears 21 Mar 22:18
6bfefd3bb40016bbdfac7fdb490... 07 Oct 20:17
  fail to configure gimp-2.2.0 Carol Spears 22 Mar 00:18
Micheal LeVine
2005-03-21 20:33:52 UTC (about 19 years ago)

I have been trying to build GIMP 2.2.0 from source, since the RPM for my OS (Redhat 9) is way out of date.

The configure command fails: ======================
checking for GLIB - version >= 2.4.5... *** 'pkg-config --modversion glib-2.0' returned 2.4.8, but GLIB (2.2.1) *** was found! If pkg-config was correct, then it is best *** to remove the old version of GLib. You may also be able to fix the error
*** by modifying your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable, or by editing *** /etc/ld.so.conf. Make sure you have run ldconfig if that is *** required on your system.
*** If pkg-config was wrong, set the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH
*** to point to the correct configuration files no
configure: error: Test for GLIB failed. See the file 'INSTALL' for help. ========================

I have configured, made and installed GLIB and have corrected LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PKG_CONFIG_PATH. I cannot get past this problem with the version conflicts in GLIB.

Any help will be appreciated

Jeff Trefftzs
2005-03-21 21:44:19 UTC (about 19 years ago)

On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 14:33 -0500, Micheal LeVine wrote:

I have been trying to build GIMP 2.2.0 from source, since the RPM for my OS (Redhat 9) is way out of date.

checking for GLIB - version >= 2.4.5... *** 'pkg-config --modversion glib-2.0' returned 2.4.8, but GLIB (2.2.1) *** was found! If pkg-config was correct, then it is best *** to remove the old version of GLib. You may also be able to fix the error
*** by modifying your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable, or by editing *** /etc/ld.so.conf. Make sure you have run ldconfig if that is *** required on your system.
configure: error: Test for GLIB failed. See the file 'INSTALL' for help. ========================

I have configured, made and installed GLIB and have corrected LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PKG_CONFIG_PATH. I cannot get past this problem with the version conflicts in GLIB.

Looks like you're hitting the dependency hell problem. Your old glib came from rpms, your new one from source. Can you track down the appropriate rpms for the later glib and install them instead? I'd suggest first doing a "make uninstall" of the fresh new glib that you just spent all that time building.

The problem is that you have the new glib installed in /usr/local (probably), but still have the old rpm installed in /usr.

HTH,

Micheal LeVine
2005-03-21 22:00:58 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Thanks for the attempts to help, but I still don't get it. How does "make uninstall" help me?
does it uninstall previous versions? If not, I don't see how it can help.

I have tried setting PKG_CONFIG_PATH to /usr/local/lib/pkg-config as well as to /usr/lib/pkg-config

The errors I get in the 2 cases when I run configure are different. In one case it tells me my GLIB is too old and it quits. In the second case it says, yes, I see 2.4.8, (the rest of the message is in my earlier email -- see below).

It seems that the pkg-config is getting inconsistent values for the library path.

How do I remove the old version of glib?

Micheal

On Mar 21, 2005, at 3:44 PM, Jeff Trefftzs wrote:

On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 14:33 -0500, Micheal LeVine wrote:

checking for GLIB - version >= 2.4.5... *** 'pkg-config --modversion glib-2.0' returned 2.4.8, but GLIB (2.2.1)
*** was found! If pkg-config was correct, then it is best *** to remove the old version of GLib. You may also be able to fix the error
*** by modifying your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable, or by editing
*** /etc/ld.so.conf. Make sure you have run ldconfig if that is *** required on your system.
configure: error: Test for GLIB failed. See the file 'INSTALL' for help.
========================

Looks like you're hitting the dependency hell problem. Your old glib came from rpms, your new one from source. Can you track down the appropriate rpms for the later glib and install them instead? I'd suggest first doing a "make uninstall" of the fresh new glib that you just spent all that time building.

The problem is that you have the new glib installed in /usr/local (probably), but still have the old rpm installed in /usr.

HTH,

Carol Spears
2005-03-21 22:18:57 UTC (about 19 years ago)

On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 02:33:52PM -0500, Micheal LeVine wrote:

how did you correct this?

carol

Owen Cook
2005-03-21 23:01:39 UTC (about 19 years ago)

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, Micheal LeVine wrote:

I have tried setting PKG_CONFIG_PATH to /usr/local/lib/pkg-config as well as to /usr/lib/pkg-config

The errors I get in the 2 cases when I run configure are different. In one case it tells me my GLIB is too old and it quits. In the second case it says, yes, I see 2.4.8, (the rest of the message is in my earlier email -- see below).

It seems that the pkg-config is getting inconsistent values for the library path.

How do I remove the old version of glib?

My first suggestion is to build the latest glib-2 from source with prefix=/usr and see if that fixes your problem. Otherwise if you want to get rid of all traces of glib-2.0 do this.

First, see what you have.

Do a # cat /usr/lib/pkgconfig/glib-2.0.pc and a # cat /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/glib-2.0.pc

That will tell you where the program is looking, eg in my case,

[owen@mybox opt]$ cat /usr/lib/pkgconfig/glib-2.0.pc prefix=/usr
exec_prefix=/usr
libdir=/usr/lib
includedir=/usr/include

glib_genmarshal=glib-genmarshal gobject_query=gobject-query
glib_mkenums=glib-mkenums

Name: GLib Description: C Utility Library
Version: 2.4.6
Libs: -L${libdir} -lglib-2.0
Cflags: -I${includedir}/glib-2.0 -I${libdir}/glib-2.0/include

Next go to /usr/lib and find what might be relevant there

[owen@mybox lib]$ ls|grep glib-2.0 glib-2.0/
libglib-2.0.a
libglib-2.0.la*
libglib-2.0.so@
libglib-2.0.so.0@
libglib-2.0.so.0.400.6*

You might feel inclined to #rm -rf libglib-2.0* and #rm -rf glib-2.0/

Then go to /usr/include and do the same thing, remove the glib-2.0 directory

If you read the .pc file, you will see there are other elements to this mystery,
[owen@mybox include]$ locate glib-mkenums /usr/bin/glib-mkenums
/usr/share/man/man1/glib-mkenums.1.bz2 /usr/share/gtk-doc/html/gobject/glib-mkenums.html [owen@mybox include]$ locate gobject-query /usr/bin/gobject-query
/usr/share/man/man1/gobject-query.1.bz2 /usr/share/gtk-doc/html/gobject/gobject-query.html [owen@mybox include]$ locate glib-genmarshal /usr/bin/glib-genmarshal
/usr/share/man/man1/glib-genmarshal.1.bz2 /usr/share/gtk-doc/html/gobject/glib-genmarshal.html

If you have come this far, you might as well remove those as well.

Then I suggest you repeat the same process with the /usr/local installation.

In the end, go back and delete /usr/lib/pkgconfig/glib-2.0.pc and /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/glib-2.0.pc

That in theory gets rid of all your glib-2.0 stuff. Nothing will work now as this library is fairly fundamental, so make sure you are working in a console and re-install glib-2.4.6, but as I said earlier, just build it from source in the first place.

All the above is untested, and my gut feeling is that I would be up for a complete rebuild if I did it.

Good luck

Owen

Sven Neumann
2005-03-21 23:36:27 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Hi,

Micheal LeVine writes:

No, it's your linker that is getting the wrong library. It is picking up glib-2.2 from /usr/lib. You need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that the libraries from glib-2.4 that you installed in /usr/local/lib are being used. You will need to use the same environment later when running gimp.

Sven

Carol Spears
2005-03-22 00:18:36 UTC (about 19 years ago)

On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 05:01:02PM -0500, Micheal LeVine wrote:

I finally untangled the mess and got things to configure.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/:/usr/lib/pkgconfig/

Now it works.

well, it looked like the suspicious part to me.

hidden in a "how to build gimp from cvs" tutorial on the main gimp web site is a script that will do this for you correctly all of the time. http://www.gimp.org/source/howtos/gimpenv

from the commandline type "source gimpenv" and then use that login shell to build gimp with.

since redhat9 is getting a little old by now, this script might be useful to help you build other software you might like to update for your system.

how is that new gimp running there?

carol