RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

How to spice up my background colors

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

How to spice up my background colors GerryPeters 30 Jun 04:09
  How to spice up my background colors Steve Kinney 30 Jun 16:03
  How to spice up my background colors Liam R E Quin 30 Jun 21:57
  How to spice up my background colors Ofnuts 01 Jul 20:58
2018-06-30 04:09:14 UTC (almost 6 years ago)
postings

I'd like to add some variation to some of my backgrounds which are just 1 plain color. What's the best way to change that to a gradient or pattern? Or any other suggestions to spice up my colors, so they're not so generic. So far I've been using the bucket tool

Thanks,

Steve Kinney
2018-06-30 16:03:04 UTC (almost 6 years ago)

On 06/30/2018 12:09 AM, GerryPeters wrote:

I'd like to add some variation to some of my backgrounds which are just 1 plain color. What's the best way to change that to a gradient or pattern? Or any other suggestions to spice up my colors, so they're not so generic. So far I've been using the bucket tool

Sounds like it's time to start using layer masks. A layer mask enables you to make any part of a layer completely or partially transparent: Paint in black (or fill a selection, etc.) on a layer mask, and the layer becomes transparent just there.

If you "mask out" the background in your top layer, leaving only the foreground objects visible, you can do anything at all to the layer(s) under it, or add new ones, to change the visible background.

I found masks very confusing at first, this illustrated explanation might be useful:

http://pilobilus.net/gimp_tutorial.html#layers

To add a mask to a layer, right-click the layer thumbnail in your Layers dock and select 'add layer mask.' Left click on the mask to make it active, so for instance you can paint on it. Click the 'main' part of the layer to switch back and do things to the layer's visible content.

Shades of gray make the layer partially transparent; for instance, use the Gradient tool's default setting, with black and white as foreground and background in your color selector, to make a layer fade out from top to bottom, side to side, or etc. with the layer(s) under it showing through. Other gradient settings, especially radial, also have their uses here.

If you want to apply a filter to just some parts of a layer, leaving the rest unchanged, and blend the altered parts in for a 'natural' appearance, try this: Make a copy of the layer you want to alter, apply the filter to the new layer, and add a layer mask to it. Then fill the whole mask with black - making it vanish. Now you can paint on the top layer's mask with white - using a soft edged brush - to 'replace' the bits of your original layer with content from the altered copy. Made a mistake? No problem, switch to black and paint the errors away. Trouble getting the altered bits to blend in smoothly? Try applying the Gaussian Blur filter to the mask, either the whole thing or parts selected with the Free Select tool.

:o)

Liam R E Quin
2018-06-30 21:57:42 UTC (almost 6 years ago)

On Sat, 2018-06-30 at 06:09 +0200, GerryPeters wrote:

I'd like to add some variation to some of my backgrounds

If you're comfortable with multiple layers you can use layer masks. Random noise, gradients, maybe filters/render/plasma, can all be useful.

If you don't want to use layer masks, here's a slightly easier way to get started -

1. select the solid background & invert to get the object (or do this with the object selected)

2. shrink the selection by a pixel or two and feather it by about the same amount

3. float the selection (control shift L will do this usually)

4. in the layers dialogue, press the new layer button at the bottom.

Now your object is on a separate layer from the background, and you can do Select None, select the background layer, and paint or fill with gradiens or use filters as much as you like, and the object will float blissfully above it all like a giant Buddah over a chain-gang of stockbrokers.

If you get a halo around the object, you didn't shrink the selection, or you feathered too mich. If the edges look too sharp, you didn't feather enough.

i think it helps a lot to practice with layers before working with layer masks.

The book "The artist's guide to gimp" is also really helpful.

slave liam (ankh)

Liam Quin - web slave for https://www.fromoldbooks.org/

Click here to watch the slave beaten with nettles.
Ofnuts
2018-07-01 20:58:00 UTC (almost 6 years ago)

On 06/30/18 06:09, GerryPeters wrote:

Thanks,

- Add a layer above the background layer

- Fill it with anything random (plasma, solid noise...)

- Set mode to grain merge or grain extract (other modes can be investigated)

- Reduce layer opacity to something small (around 5%) and possibly reduce the layer contrast