RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

faded photo

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

faded photo lkl316 08 Jun 19:23
  faded photo Andrew Clarke via gimp-user-list 09 Jun 19:37
  faded photo Steve Kinney 09 Jun 20:07
   faded photo lkl316 15 Jun 20:29
   faded photo lkl316 15 Jun 20:34
   faded photo lkl316 16 Jun 11:12
   faded photo lkl316 10 Jul 12:50
    faded photo Steve Kinney 10 Jul 17:32
  faded photo Liam R E Quin 10 Jun 01:58
2018-06-08 19:23:49 UTC (almost 6 years ago)
postings

faded photo

I have a kodacolor photo that was totally in color. It was unframed and a leaking roof left it totally washed out. It shows very faint color. I s there any technique using Gimp that can restore the color?

Andrew Clarke via gimp-user-list
2018-06-09 19:37:41 UTC (almost 6 years ago)

faded photo

You could use this technique :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f00u19-fck

On 08/06/2018 20:23, lkl316 wrote:

I have a kodacolor photo that was totally in color. It was unframed and a leaking roof left it totally washed out. It shows very faint color. I s there any technique using Gimp that can restore the color?

Steve Kinney
2018-06-09 20:07:45 UTC (almost 6 years ago)

faded photo

On 06/08/2018 03:23 PM, lkl316 wrote:

Another method for bringing up color (and contrast), is to make a layer copy of the (scanned?) original, and set its Layer Mode to Overlay. This alone may not be sufficient; or, if it does /too/ much to increase color and contrast, dial the new layer's opacity back until if looks about right. (I think Akkana Peck posted this method here years ago, somebody did and I have gotten a LOT of mileage out of it.)

After the above adjustment, do Layer > New From Visible, and do further work if needed on the new layer.

Some tools to try:

Colors > Hue / Saturation - The saturation and lightness sliders may do useful things.

Colors > Levels - The default setting will let you drag a curve up and down where and as needed, to fine tune brightness within specific ranges. Play with it, and remember: Control-z is your friend, just undo any changes you aren't satisfied with. Also and maybe more importantly, the Channel selector will let you work on Red, Green and Blue independently.

The Colors > Map > Sample Colorize tool may also prove useful, especially if you want to go as far as combining multiple, masked layers to recreate the original image. The Help doc for this tool emphasizes /removing/ color and creating abstractions, but it can also make very good guesses in transferring colors from a sample image to the one you're working on. Worth a shot, maybe.

http://www.gimphelp.org/official/plug-in-sample-colorize.html

There are SO many ways to go about tweaking color in images...

:o)

Liam R E Quin
2018-06-10 01:58:30 UTC (almost 6 years ago)

faded photo

On Fri, 2018-06-08 at 21:23 +0200, lkl316 wrote:

I have a kodacolor photo that was totally in color. It was unframed and a
leaking roof left it totally washed out. It shows very faint color. I s there
any technique using Gimp that can restore the color?

Hard to tell without seeing it, but increasing saturation may help (in the colours menu). Unfortunately different colours may be affected at different rates, so you may have to experiment a lot. Work in stages, and don't overdo it - there's always undo.

Liam (ankh)

Liam Quin, W3C,  http://www.fromoldbooks.org/

Available for XML/Document/Information Architecture/
XSLT/XQuery/Web/Text Processing work and consulting.
2018-06-15 20:29:45 UTC (almost 6 years ago)
postings

faded photo

Another method for bringing up color (and contrast), is to make a layer
copy of the (scanned?) original, and set its Layer Mode to Overlay. This alone may not be sufficient; or, if it does /too/ much to increase
color and contrast, dial the new layer's opacity back until if looks about right. (I think Akkana Peck posted this method here years ago, somebody did and I have gotten a LOT of mileage out of it.)

After the above adjustment, do Layer > New From Visible, and do further
work if needed on the new layer.

Some tools to try:

Colors > Hue / Saturation - The saturation and lightness sliders may do
useful things.

Colors > Levels - The default setting will let you drag a curve up and down where and as needed, to fine tune brightness within specific ranges. Play with it, and remember: Control-z is your friend, just undo any changes you aren't satisfied with. Also and maybe more importantly, the Channel selector will let you work on Red, Green and Blue independently.

The Colors > Map > Sample Colorize tool may also prove useful, especially if you want to go as far as combining multiple, masked layers
to recreate the original image. The Help doc for this tool emphasizes /removing/ color and creating abstractions, but it can also make very good guesses in transferring colors from a sample image to the one you're working on. Worth a shot, maybe.

2018-06-15 20:34:43 UTC (almost 6 years ago)
postings

faded photo

copy of the (scanned?) original, and set its Layer Mode to Overlay. This alone may not be sufficient; or, if it does /too/ much to increase
color and contrast, dial the new layer's opacity back until if looks about right. (I think Akkana Peck posted this method here years ago, somebody did and I have gotten a LOT of mileage out of it.)

Some tools to try:

useful things.

The Colors > Map > Sample Colorize tool may also prove useful, especially if you want to go as far as combining multiple, masked layers
to recreate the original image. The Help doc for this tool emphasizes /removing/ color and creating abstractions, but it can also make very good guesses in transferring colors from a sample image to the one you're working on. Worth a shot, maybe.

2018-06-16 11:12:32 UTC (almost 6 years ago)
postings

faded photo

Some tools to try:

useful things.

2018-07-10 12:50:43 UTC (over 5 years ago)
postings

faded photo

Some tools to try:

useful things.

I don't know the command that will do this step:

copy of the (scanned?) original, and set its Layer Mode to Overlay.

Steve Kinney
2018-07-10 17:32:56 UTC (over 5 years ago)

faded photo

On 07/10/2018 08:50 AM, lkl316 wrote:

I don't know the command that will do this step:

copy of the (scanned?) original, and set its Layer Mode to Overlay.

In the Layers dialog dock, below the area where layers are shown, left click the icon that shows two rectangles, one on top of the other. That will make a duplicate of the selected (or only) layer, above the selected (or original) layer.

To change the new layer's mode, find the Mode selector at the top of the Layers dialog dock, left click where it says "Normal" and select "Overlay". The Opacity slider right below that starts at 100%, but can be used to make the selected layer partially transparent if needed.

The Layers dialog dock is shown at the upper right in the illustration on this page:

https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-concepts-main-windows.html