RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Tips and Tricks for a new user

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Tips and Tricks for a new user Ha2000 02 Jun 10:46
  Tips and Tricks for a new user rich404 02 Jun 11:11
   Tips and Tricks for a new user Ha2000 03 Jun 11:23
    Tips and Tricks for a new user ClaudiaJBrock 28 Jan 11:23
     Tips and Tricks for a new user shuel 28 Jan 11:26
2018-06-02 10:46:56 UTC (almost 6 years ago)
postings

HI!
I am completely new in photo modification and do have a couple of questions regarding gimp. I really would appreciate any help and/or tips.

I would like to print out a photo (which will be modified with gimp) in a large size, possibly 1000mmx400mm. Is this possible and how do I make sure I get a good quality print? Photo has been shot in RAW format, but could make the photo again as a "normal" photo.

Thank you for your help!

rich404
2018-06-02 11:11:47 UTC (almost 6 years ago)

HI!
I am completely new in photo modification and do have a couple of questions regarding gimp. I really would appreciate any help and/or tips.

I would like to print out a photo (which will be modified with gimp) in a large size, possibly 1000mmx400mm. Is this possible and how do I make sure I get a good quality print? Photo has been shot in RAW format, but could make the photo again as a "normal" photo.

Thank you for your help!

Small photo prints, you normally use an image with a 'print resolution' of 300 pixels-per-inch (ppi)

For large prints (ie your 1000x400 mm) at a normal viewing distance, a smaller ppi can be used (say 200 ppi)

Assuming you are using a printing service you need to ask them, their requirements.

Editing your RAW image in Gimp.

You need some other application to import the RAW into Gimp. Then after editing, export in some format (tiff/jpeg) to send to the printing company. At the moment, the Gimp 2.10.2 from gimp.org will use either Rawtherapee or Darktable. You need to install one of those separately.

An alternative and 'lighter' application is Nufraw and that is already installed in the Gimp 2.10.2 version from www.partha.com

That is a good way to go, not too complicated.

Other than that if you need to use Rawtherapee or Darktable the best place to ask questions is https://discuss.pixls.us/

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

2018-06-03 11:23:04 UTC (almost 6 years ago)
postings

Thank you for this info!

2021-01-28 11:23:54 UTC (about 3 years ago)
postings

This as really helpful for a new user like me.

2021-01-28 11:26:21 UTC (about 3 years ago)
postings

These were some really wonderful tips and especially great for beginers. I have recently started using GIMP and was looking for some good starting tips I am glad I have found my answer here. As well as I have found the https://studyclerk.com/write-research-paper-for-me website who will write a research paper for me because I am not that good at writing a research paper. Thanks!