RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Debug symbols causing problems in GIMP 2.10

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Debug symbols causing problems in GIMP 2.10 Richard 23 May 16:57
  Debug symbols causing problems in GIMP 2.10 Richard 23 May 17:42
Richard
2018-05-23 16:57:34 UTC (almost 6 years ago)

This looks to be a super easy fix but I definitely have to mention it in the meantime....

I recently downloaded GIMP 2.10.2 to a fresh directory (I renamed my GIMP 2.8.x folders) and during the installation I decided to add the debug symbols to the installation.

Protip: Don't do that.

Because when I started GIMP 2.10, during the plug-in query it apparently included all of the debug symbols (e.g. plugin-name.exe.debug) in addition to the plugins themselves. This created a massive cascade of error messages claiming that "the application could not be started". (I took a screenshot.)

Nonetheless, GIMP did in fact start, all the plug-ins were nonetheless loaded correctly, and removing the debug symbol files from the plug-ins folder immediately prevented it from happening again.

-- Stratadrake strata_ranger@hotmail.com
--------------------
Numbers may not lie, but neither do they tell the whole truth.

Richard
2018-05-23 17:42:09 UTC (almost 6 years ago)

PS - Apparently this is already filed as bugzilla #796347. Nevermind this message, then....

-- Stratadrake strata_ranger@hotmail.com
--------------------

Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 9:57:34 AM
To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: Debug symbols causing problems in GIMP 2.10

This looks to be a super easy fix but I definitely have to mention it in the meantime....

I recently downloaded GIMP 2.10.2 to a fresh directory (I renamed my GIMP 2.8.x folders) and during the installation I decided to add the debug symbols to the installation.

Protip: Don't do that.

Because when I started GIMP 2.10, during the plug-in query it apparently included all of the debug symbols (e.g. plugin-name.exe.debug) in addition to the plugins themselves.  This created a massive cascade of error messages claiming that "the application could not be started".  (I took a screenshot.)

Nonetheless, GIMP did in fact start, all the plug-ins were nonetheless loaded correctly, and removing the debug symbol files from the plug-ins folder immediately prevented it from happening again.

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger@hotmail.com
--------------------