RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

user feedback - tiling window managers and such

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 1 message available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

user feedback - tiling window managers and such Mike Harris 24 Mar 01:40
Mike Harris
2018-03-24 01:40:37 UTC (about 6 years ago)

user feedback - tiling window managers and such

Hello!

Thanks to everyone who has worked on GIMP, I've used it loads over the years, I'm currently using it to make tiles for a game similar to the 1994 game Outpost,

Hope this is the right place for user feedback. I'm not a typical user - I'd prefer to spend my time in emacs, to be honest, and I still use ratpoison as my window manager. Gimp's a bit frustrating here because:

1. The default multi-window setting doesn't fail gracefully. It flickers awfully with no suggestion of how to fix it. 2. Once one gets everything working, the panels are kind of unintuitive, the arrow that points left doesn't collaps the thing, but comes up with another menu.
3. Things are generally confusing to people coming from a program like MtPaint.

I wouldn't be complaining if I wasn't willing to help (though I'm only free on weekends, I have a job, yay) and I completely understand if power users take preference - I do use emacs, after all. Just thought I'd share. But #1 in particular seems like a bug, maybe not with Gimp, but somewhere.

Thanks for reading! Mike