RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

X-Default

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

X-Default GeoSte 08 Apr 17:11
  X-Default rich404 09 Apr 09:44
   X-Default GeoSte 09 Apr 14:19
    X-Default Ofnuts 09 Apr 21:00
2018-04-08 17:11:37 UTC (about 6 years ago)
postings

X-Default

I hope somebody can help me.
Meanwhile I've corrected thousends of fotographs by Gimp (Vers. 2.8.14). All of these pictures are described with any foto processing program (e.g. photoshop) under the EXIF name of 'title'. If I use gimp2 the EXIF picture description got lost and instead of this I get 'x-default' as new title. If I open File>Properties I can find the my original picture description as EXIF-Dates of 'ImageDescription' and 'XPTitle'. If I save the picture I find (instead of the correct Title) always 'X-default' as the Title.

Example: My foto is described by 'Railway Station' as EXIF title. In Gimp2 I find under file>properties as ImageDescription and as Title 'Railway Station' If I Export or overwrite the respective foto I get 'X-default' instead of 'Railway Station'

I use the windows version 2.8.14 in German.

I tried nearly everything to find a solution but I failed. Does somebody could help me?

rich404
2018-04-09 09:44:47 UTC (about 6 years ago)

X-Default

I hope somebody can help me.
Meanwhile I've corrected thousends of fotographs by Gimp (Vers. 2.8.14).
All of these pictures are described with any foto processing program (e.g. photoshop) under the EXIF name of 'title'. If I use gimp2 the EXIF picture description got lost and instead of this I get 'x-default' as new title. If I open File>Properties I can find the my original picture description as EXIF-Dates of 'ImageDescription' and 'XPTitle'. If I save the picture I find (instead of the correct Title) always 'X-default' as the Title.

Example: My foto is described by 'Railway Station' as EXIF title. In Gimp2 I find under file>properties as ImageDescription and as Title 'Railway Station'
If I Export or overwrite the respective foto I get 'X-default' instead of 'Railway Station'

I use the windows version 2.8.14 in German.

I tried nearly everything to find a solution but I failed. Does somebody could help me?

Even if you update to Gimp 2.10 which has better exif support, that particular XMP data is lost.

What you can use is Imagemagick - www.imagemagick.org - to save the data **before** any editing.

The command to extract the data is:

magick original.jpg in.xmp

The file in.xmp is text and can be edited if required.

After editing and exporting the file (edited.jpg) the XMP data is written back to a new jpeg

magick edited.jpg -profile XMP:in.xmp new.jpg

A couple of screenshots:

1. Shows the terminal and commands.

2. Shows a comparison between the original jpeg and the final (new) edited jpeg.

Not that it helps in your case but why Gimp 2.8.16? The current is 2.8.22 with many bugs fixed.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

2018-04-09 14:19:14 UTC (about 6 years ago)
postings

X-Default

Hello Rich404,
thanks for your prompt answer to my question. But I think your proposal is not a solution as I have to handle thousands of pictures and as I understand your remarks, the insert to the program imagemagick has to be done manually. I think there is no chance to handle in this way such a lot of jpeg-files without enormous additional time consumption. An alternate is to copy the title, to paste it to any word program, to recopy it from there and to past it back to the changed picture. According to my research in the internet there are many of potential users of GIMP with the same problem. I wonder that such an obvious problem is not corrected as the EXIF datas are already available in GIMP.

Ofnuts
2018-04-09 21:00:09 UTC (about 6 years ago)

X-Default

On 04/09/18 16:19, GeoSte wrote:

Hello Rich404,
thanks for your prompt answer to my question. But I think your proposal is not a solution as I have to handle thousands of pictures and as I understand your remarks, the insert to the program imagemagick has to be done manually. I think there is no chance to handle in this way such a lot of jpeg-files without enormous additional time consumption. An alternate is to copy the title, to paste it to any word program, to recopy it from there and to past it back to the changed picture. According to my research in the internet there are many of potential users of GIMP with the same problem. I wonder that such an obvious problem is not corrected as the EXIF datas are already available in GIMP.

Attachments: * http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/870/original/19650416C_009aDK.jpg

Manually for one image, but you can use ImageMagick in a script.