RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Removing white background from logo

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Removing white background from logo GerryPeters 25 Mar 03:42
  Removing white background from logo rich404 25 Mar 08:50
   Removing white background from logo GerryPeters 25 Mar 18:47
    Removing white background from logo GerryPeters 26 Mar 16:04
     Removing white background from logo rich404 26 Mar 17:08
2018-03-25 03:42:52 UTC (about 6 years ago)
postings

Here's a simple logo. I need to delete the white background, so the logo is floating by itself. I know I can use the scissors tool to do this, but considering what a simple 2 color logo this is. Is there an easier way to do it?

rich404
2018-03-25 08:50:44 UTC (about 6 years ago)

Here's a simple logo. I need to delete the white background, so the logo is floating by itself. I know I can use the scissors tool to do this, but considering what a simple 2 color logo this is. Is there an easier way to do it?

The easy way, as below is Color -> Color to alpha, but taking in context of previous posts

That is actually a good logo. It is a vector graphic that can be scaled up or down without loss of quality. You could open in Gimp and remove the background, then copy / paste /scale into your project but that is not the best way for quality.

The 'natural' size is US letter which guessing in too large. Using your CD template (but could be say that CD case insert graphic)

screenshot https://i.imgur.com/vvO72kO.jpg

Determine the size required using the measure tool (1) in the graphic (2) which will give a size in pixels (3)

File -> Open as layers the cindy larson.pdf and set the width (4) to a suitable size based on your measurement. The height adjusts to suit, ignore the resolution. Ok it (5)

https://i.imgur.com/vm8rWL1.jpg

Use the move tool (6) to move the layer into position. Use Colors -> Color-to-Alpha, the default is already white so just OK it to make all White transparent. If you adjust the position again make sure the move tool cursor is on a solid part (or enable move the active layer)

Zoomed in looks like this.

https://i.imgur.com/Gou1rnq.jpg

There are other (possibly better) ways but at the moment that will confuse you.

2018-03-25 18:47:34 UTC (about 6 years ago)
postings

The easy way, as below is Color -> Color to alpha, but taking in context of previous posts

That is actually a good logo. It is a vector graphic that can be scaled up or down without loss of quality. You could open in Gimp and remove the background, then copy / paste /scale into your project but that is not the best way for quality.

The 'natural' size is US letter which guessing in too large. Using your CD template (but could be say that CD case insert graphic)

screenshot https://i.imgur.com/vvO72kO.jpg

Determine the size required using the measure tool (1) in the graphic (2) which will give a size in pixels (3)

File -> Open as layers the cindy larson.pdf and set the width (4) to a suitable size based on your measurement. The height adjusts to suit, ignore the resolution. Ok it (5)

https://i.imgur.com/vm8rWL1.jpg

Use the move tool (6) to move the layer into position. Use Colors -> Color-to-Alpha, the default is already white so just OK it to make all White transparent. If you adjust the position again make sure the move tool cursor is on a solid part (or enable move the active layer)

Zoomed in looks like this.

https://i.imgur.com/Gou1rnq.jpg

There are other (possibly better) ways but at the moment that will confuse you.

I already had it in the project and it looked fine, but I left the white background. The Color to alpha worked great and was so quick to do. I had a feeling you'd know a less tedious way than the scissors tool.

I tried to re-import the logo PDF using your methods and after I sized it with the scale tool, the black color turned into something like an animation, like black and white liquid was flowing through the logo. I've seen this before in other settings even when I was making the inner guide circle. When I colored the inner guide circle, it started doing the same animation thing.

Back to the logo I used the move tool to reposition it and the animation went away and now it's solid black like it's supposed to be. Is this a glitch in GIMP or what?

2018-03-26 16:04:25 UTC (about 6 years ago)
postings

I have some additional info:

I used undo to return to where the strange animation was and now see that at the very top of the layers view it says Floating selection - Transformation.

I used "open as layer" to open the logo. I see that as soon as the logo appears it has a dotted line rectangle around it's border. The dotted lines are moving around the rectangle. As soon as I choose the scale tool and scale the logo smaller the outer dotted line rectangle does not have dotted lines moving around it anymore.

Instead I have a smaller dotted line rectangle around the logo border and these dotted lines are moving. This is the instant that a new layer appears at the top - Floating selection - Transformation. Then when I choose Color to alpha, this is when the animation affects the black letters of the logo

Here's what my undo history says: move layer
Scale to 494x605
Color to alpha

later when I moved the logo with the move tool the Floating selection - Transformation layer disappeared and everything was OK

rich404
2018-03-26 17:08:03 UTC (about 6 years ago)

I have some additional info:

I used undo to return to where the strange animation was and now see that at the very top of the layers view it says Floating selection - Transformation.

I used "open as layer" to open the logo. I see that as soon as the logo appears it has a dotted line rectangle around it's border. The dotted lines are moving around the rectangle. As soon as I choose the scale tool and scale the logo smaller the outer dotted line rectangle does not have dotted lines moving around it anymore.

Instead I have a smaller dotted line rectangle around the logo border and these dotted lines are moving. This is the instant that a new layer appears at the top - Floating selection - Transformation. Then when I choose Color to alpha, this is when the animation affects the black letters of the logo

Here's what my undo history says: move layer
Scale to 494x605
Color to alpha

later when I moved the logo with the move tool the Floating selection - Transformation layer disappeared and everything was OK

Always beware of "this must be a bug" when that is most improbable. I have been using Gimp for a dozen years, always suspect myself first, always something new to learn.

I can see my earlier post about vector graphics when unheeded, in this case scaling down you can get away with bitmap scaling. One day it will be tiny logo to monster logo and it will be a fuzzy mess.

However. The Gimp interface contains all sorts of clues as to what is going on. A yellow dotted line is a layer boundary. Not all layers are the same size as the basic canvas size. Usually smaller but can be larger.

This example (3 shots together - this mailing list format is a killer) for anything other than simple.

see: https://i.imgur.com/VSh03Od.jpg

1. You opened the C-L logo using File -> Open as layers (the best way) The logo is US letter size and larger than the canvas. see the dotted line

2. That can be scaled (and moved) using the scale tool. Looks a bit odd because of the grid that is in place.

3. Applying the tool gets that new (smaller) layer.

What it looks like you did. see: https://i.imgur.com/INSPaaW.jpg

1. Copied the logo, pasted into the CD template. That creates a "Floating Selection (Pasted Layer)"

2. The Floating Later can be transformed same as any other layer. Resized and moved.

3. Then it needs to be fixed. All sorts of ways, pasting another selection for example, but be in control. Use the Layer menu -> To New Layer or Layer -> Anchor layer. Anchor layer will merge with the last active layer used.

4. With a new layer the layer boundary is now dotted yellow changed from the dotted gray of the "Floating Selection".

rich: www.gimp-forum.net