RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Retaining Layers in EPS export

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Retaining Layers in EPS export GoatFeathers 10 Feb 16:35
  Retaining Layers in EPS export rich404 11 Feb 09:50
2018-02-10 16:35:57 UTC (about 6 years ago)
postings

I realize that GIMP is primarily raster, but is there any way to export a high-resolution (300dpi or higher) image that will retain the layers (no automatic flattening) and resolution? EPS files are exported flat and the resolution is reduced dramatically in the exported image. The only 3rd party solutions I am finding export the layers as individual files. I am trying to avoid rebuilding the image in Inkscape.

Built in 2.8.1xx

rich404
2018-02-11 09:50:44 UTC (about 6 years ago)

I realize that GIMP is primarily raster, but is there any way to export a high-resolution (300dpi or higher) image that will retain the

Not primarily raster, is raster. A little search and not looking promising.

This a bit old but probably correct https://forums.adobe.com/thread/485325

I can get a multipage tiff out using ImageMagick but not much of a solution, Inkscape still looks the best bet for a stack of png images. Layer-to-image size in Gimp to preserve position.

Trace bitmap for each layer, not a big deal: https://i.imgur.com/LHXUHhU.jpg Of course might be different if you have a thousand of these to process.

Gives an SVG as attached. The text would be better as text rather than scanned if you know the font (no text layers in your xcf file. Was this originally a psd?)

layers (no automatic flattening) and resolution? EPS files are exported flat and the resolution is reduced dramatically in the exported image.

How are you determining this? Open an EPS in Gimp and the default resolution is 100 (same with PDF and SVG) Up to you to set a value. Use 300 on that EPS you have, for printing quality.

Is the object of the exercise to get a larger than 800 x 1200 image - that is your gimp size for printing?