RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Export glitch

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

CADxjdzx6qAYP4uommhCMhZi35C... 09 Feb 19:20
  CADxjdzxf7uokoPkiF2CVvNt-gM... 09 Feb 19:20
   CADxjdzy9z_fLT0Msni=aJ_aRO2... 09 Feb 19:20
    CADxjdzx=D_cteue+=OJgH9aZ5S... 09 Feb 19:20
     CADxjdzyjMfN256MvDaoPCeRz_2... 09 Feb 19:20
      Export glitch Christopher Pova 09 Feb 16:08
       Export glitch Ofnuts 13 Feb 13:18
        Export glitch Richard 18 Feb 21:34
Christopher Pova
2018-02-09 16:08:28 UTC (about 6 years ago)

Export glitch

Hello,

I am using v2.8.22 and have been for a number of months. As of the last week or so, I've noticed that when I export my projects to psd and then reenter them, all of my branched layers have compressed to the root layer and cannot be expanded. This has never happened before and is a huge problem for my work. Please help.

CMPova

Ofnuts
2018-02-13 13:18:30 UTC (about 6 years ago)

Export glitch

On 02/09/18 17:08, Christopher Pova wrote:

Hello,

I am using v2.8.22 and have been for a number of months. As of the last week or so, I've noticed that when I export my projects to psd and then reenter them, all of my branched layers have compressed to the root layer and cannot be expanded. This has never happened before and is a huge problem for my work. Please help.

By "reenter", do you mean opening the PSD again, or opening the XCF you saved at the same time as you exported the XCF? "Export" and "Save" are different, only "Save" guarantees that all your work is kept.

Richard
2018-02-18 21:34:33 UTC (about 6 years ago)

Export glitch

Ofnuts is correct, when you work in GIMP regularly you should always use "Save" to save your project as a whole and only use "Export" when you are creating a secondary copy for use outside of GIMP. Even as a general rule, you should always be saving work using a program's preferred default file format anyway. Yes, there are certain workflow scenarios (especially involving other people) where converting file formats is necessary, but....

Nonetheless, if your situation is that you are exporting a PSD and then re-opening the PSD in GIMP and (somehow) the layer structure has been lost, then this is definitely a problem, but we need you to analyze it further so we can narrow down the cause.

Try opening the PSD file in Adobe Photoshop itself, and what do you get?

- If the PSD file is fine in Photoshop (layers and everything) then GIMP has an import problem.

- If even Photoshop only sees one layer in the file, GIMP has an export problem.

And for now, keep a duplicate copy of the PSD file because if this is a GIMP problem we will need a sample to figure out where things went wrong.

-- Stratadrake strata_ranger@hotmail.com
--------------------
Numbers may not lie, but neither do they tell the whole truth.

Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 5:18:30 AM
To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Export glitch

On 02/09/18 17:08, Christopher Pova wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using v2.8.22 and have been for a number of months. As of the last
> week or so, I've noticed that when I export my projects to psd and then
> reenter them, all of my  branched layers have compressed to the root layer
> and cannot be expanded. This has never happened before and is a huge
> problem for my work. Please help.
>

By "reenter", do you mean opening the PSD again, or opening the XCF you
saved at the same time as you exported the XCF? "Export" and "Save" are
different, only "Save" guarantees that all your work is kept.